Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New arbor and raised beds ?

Posted by tishtoshnm 6/New Mexico (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 26, 10 at 23:01

Dh actually dug and set the posts for my potager so I am almost certain its definitive location is indeed definitive. We have a design worked out but once we priced lumber, if we built our beds it would cost several hundred dollars not to mention how much it would cost to fill them. So, question 1:

Has anyone used raised beds for vegetables, that would be similar to berms. We are hoping to do some with curved shapes which would also rule out lumber. Any pro's or con's?

Question number 2 focuses on our arbor. Dh found one made of cedar with side panels that used to be $500 and was purchased for $200. The design is lovely, it just looks so new. How long should it take to weather to a nice gray?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New arbor and raised beds ?

Berm style beds are common, and the most common form of raising soil levels. I've been gardening in them for the last 10 years at church. We also use raised beds with wood sides, which we all prefer. It's whatever you can manage.
I use untreated yellow pine 10x2's and they cost less than $20 to make an 8x4' bed - including screws and stakes.
Making your beds shouldn't have to cost a fortune!

I don't know where you are in New Mexico, but do you have access to stones or rocks? That can be very cost effective if you just "have" them or can get them easily without buying them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here