Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boondoggle_gw

Three Potager Pix (Hopefully)

boondoggle
17 years ago

I have cursed dial-up, and I've been wrestling with Photobucket all evening, trying to get my photos up. I find Photobucket to be a big pain in the you-know-what. Anyway, here goes:

My garden, as it looked in March:

I've since done some rearranging of the beds.

Here's the plan, turned sideways:

On Easter weekend, I connected the two beds on the left hand side near the gate, because the path was the sunniest place in the garden. Now I wonder if I've ruined it. It's not pretty anymore, and a lot less convenient.

I made some derogatory comments about yellow flowers on the cottage forum, but this spring I realized I have mostly yellow flowers! How dumb. Next year, more pink.

And that has to be it for now, because stupid Photobucket has pooped out on me. I wanted to show you the vegetables, since this is the Potager forum after all, but it will have to wait. Please let me know if you can see these photos.

Comments (8)

• amy_d-r
    17 years ago

Your garden is so lovely and inspiring. I love your yellow and blue combination you've got going even if it's not your thing--yellow is my favorite :)

• Steveningen
    17 years ago

Well you've got it going on. Very pretty Boondoggle. What all roses do you have?

I've tracked you down from the Cottage forum to take you to task for desparaging the color yellow LOL. Nah, actually I thought I would stop in here and post a pic of my potager for what it's worth.

Cheers,

Steven

• boondoggle
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Amy, thank you for your kind comment. I was feeling down about the garden because it aways looks so scruffy, but your nice words picked me up.

Steven, I know your garden well from the cottage forum, and am flattered that you find mine pretty.

DH and I knew nothing about roses when we decided to plant some six years ago, so they're all Home Depot varieties mostly suitable for the northeast. (They're too large for the fence, and the blooms bleach out too quickly.) DH picked three and I picked three, and we picked totally clashing colors. When we had the fence built a couple years ago, I didn't have the heart to get rid of them, but I may move some to other locations in the yard next January.

Anyway, that's Just Joey on the left of the gate, and Mr. Lincoln on the right, with Gold Medallian near the bricks, and Queen Elizabeth on the extreme right. I think the one on the extreme left is called Moonshadow. There is also a little white rosebush of unknown variety out of the picture on the left.

Susan

• Annie
    17 years ago

Susan,
    I like gardens with lots of colour. I think your garden is very pretty. I like roses that are "too large for the fence", so tht they sprawl onto the ground. And that lovely little fence is perfect for your roses and your garden. Absolutely charming. Everything appears to go well together as far as I can see. Over the years it will continually change. That is the beauty of gardening. You can change things and add plants or garden things or remove them. Some things will grow very well and some may not, but that is part of gardening, too. It should make you happy when you are in it. You should grow what you like. That is what counts. ~Annie

• naplesgardener
    17 years ago

I love your garden. What a great space you've created. Do you have plans for vines on the wall? Or maybe espalier fruit trees?
    I see you have a compost bin. I have such a small yard that instead of a bin I just dig a hole in any bed with space and bury the kitchen scraps there. I think it's called trench composting but I don't even have room for a trench, just a hole.
    Thanks for the photos, it was worth your effort.

• myoneandonly
    17 years ago

Ooooh, Boondoggle, the very word, Potager makes me weak in the knees. Now that you have mastered photobucket, it is time to make good on your promise and post more pictures.

• boondoggle
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the nice words of encouragement; it really made my evening.

Myoneandonly, I've decided to just add the link to my Photobucket album. It's just too difficult to cut and paste with this dial-up service, because it takes forever for me to get into Photobucket. Let me know if there is a problem with the link.

Annie, sometimes I think our rose selection was just a mish-mash. Thanks for giving me a different take on it. They were looking beautiful this weekend, but I didn't have time to photograph them, which is a shame, because now they're quite blown.

Naplesgardener, I thought about that wall long and hard. The problem is that it throws heavy shade in the winter. The other problem is that we have a (ahem) *rat* problem in our neighborhood, so I'm reluctant to provide any shelter or concealment for them. I would've liked to have espaliered fruit trees there, but have decided that maybe I should just keep the area open. DH suggested hanging hay rack window boxes along the top and putting trailing plants in them to dress things up a bit.

I also thought of painting that wall light yellow, matching the garage, but a neighber told me that paint on cinder block blisters off and looks unsightly after a couple of years, so I dropped that idea.

It's funny if you look at the vegetables in my album, I've pulled almost everything out for summer! The herbs I've removed to pots, because I wanted that sunny space for the tomatoes and peppers. It looks much different now.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden pix

• myoneandonly
    16 years ago

Boondoggle, I love the way your garden shed is tucked behind the picket fence and roses. What kind of fencing did you use? It's quite attractive. I'm used to gardening on a small scale and in containers, so am really looking forward to having some real space. Everything will be from scratch, since the land has been used for grass bales for the neighbor's cattle.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County