Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any potagers in SFO bay area?

Posted by carol6ma_7ari zones 6 & 7a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 8:29

I'm starting my own potager in coastal RI and can't go ahead until my rototill/manure/fence guy shows up. So while I wait (it's still too cool here for anything but cool-weather veggies) I'll be taking a trip to the other coast: west-coast area around San Francisco. My trip is built around visiting rose gardens there, from Mendocino to Monterey; and I've allowed enough extra days to see other kinds of gardens as well.

Are there gardeners out there with potagers who would let me see what they've accomplished? Or historic gardens with kitchen beds? I realize the climate is so terrific there, and the fruits & veggies for sale so fresh, maybe people don't have their own fenced kitchen gardens in the Bay Area? Please let me know if I can briefly visit. I'll be in the Bay Area with rented car from April 16 to May 2.

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any potagers in SFO bay area?

I'm just north of SF in Santa Rosa. Our last day of frost isn't til April 15th, so we're just getting stuff ready (besides, I'm just in the process of transforming my garden from just a vege garden to a pottager)
I highly recommend that you visit Kendall Jackson Winery, just north of Santa Rosa!
They have the most FABULOUS gardens! Vege/herb/flower/etc and the chefs are in on all that is planted in the gardens cause they cook seasonally from them!
DH and I were lucky enough to be docents (we followed the guides around and kept people on the path and pointed out plants/herbs etc) Last year at their tomato festival! Just FAB!!!!!!
Gosh! It's just a pinch too early to find a lot in the area, but you might ask at a Sonoma County group (they won't let me add a link) It has to do with a garden exchange, if this helps. NT

o
RE: Any potagers in SFO bay area?

Thanks, NT. I looked up the winery and could drive to it easily from one of my other stops (roses, not potagers). Too bad I don't drink alcohol!

Can you give me a clue about a Sonoma County forum to ask? There are lots of exchanges (plant, info etc.) in the Gardenweb forums but no forum called "Sonoma".

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here