Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandolls

Asparagus - as a center focus?

mandolls
11 years ago

I have some asparagus started from seed inside this year. I am considering placing the bed in the center of my garden. Last year I had tomatoes tied into a bamboo teepee/row structures. By the middle of the summer they were so huge - it just felt like to much mass in the middle of the garden. (there were 16 of them)

Do you all think a ferny mass of asparagus could work as a center focus? Or does asparagus become an unruly mess later in the season? I have seen pictures, but I have never actually seen an asparagus bed through the growing season.

I am thinking a round or oval bed. Just a two brick high raised bed. Possibly a simple 3 pole bamboo teepee in the very center with a flowering vine or climbing rose of some sort. Edging the asparagus plants with a short wire fence to keep them from flopping outward. Then bordering the bed with flowers and herbs.

So far I have been able to change things around every year if I didnt like the way they looked - an asparagus bed is more of a long time commitment, so I am nervous.

Comments (3)

Sponsored