Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asparagus - as a center focus?

Posted by mandolls 4WI (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 8:41

I have some asparagus started from seed inside this year. I am considering placing the bed in the center of my garden. Last year I had tomatoes tied into a bamboo teepee/row structures. By the middle of the summer they were so huge - it just felt like to much mass in the middle of the garden. (there were 16 of them)

Do you all think a ferny mass of asparagus could work as a center focus? Or does asparagus become an unruly mess later in the season? I have seen pictures, but I have never actually seen an asparagus bed through the growing season.

I am thinking a round or oval bed. Just a two brick high raised bed. Possibly a simple 3 pole bamboo teepee in the very center with a flowering vine or climbing rose of some sort. Edging the asparagus plants with a short wire fence to keep them from flopping outward. Then bordering the bed with flowers and herbs.

So far I have been able to change things around every year if I didnt like the way they looked - an asparagus bed is more of a long time commitment, so I am nervous.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asparagus - as a center focus?

Our asparagus grows taller than my 6' hubby and the bushy parts of the ferns spread wider than the 2' width of the bed we have them planted in. Basically, they're a small tree once they've gotten to their full height, at least in our garden. If they grow that big in your climate, then their mass might rival that of the large tomato plants you had and didn't like. They don't get that big for everyone, though. The ferns really are lovely and they do turn a gorgeous golden yellow in the fall. Ours don't flop over because the stalks are quite thick and sturdy (they get woody when they fern out), so a fence would be purely decorative. They're bushy, but not unruly. After they go through the yellow stage and start to turn ugly brown, they fall over as one big wave, though (ours are in a 20' long double row). They can be trimmed away at ground level before that happens.

o

Thanks Macky - I really didnt know they could get that tall, I was thinking 4 ft maximum. I think they will just go on the side of the yard and I'll put something else in the center of the potager.

o

Mine get quite tall too and really spread out. I grew mine from seed too.
I planted mine to the back along the fenceline. They are so pretty there and serve as a backdrop for the rest of the garden. In the Fall, the seeds turn bright red and the fern-like branches become a gorgeous golden yellow color. Very pretty.

You can get the look you were seeking with the Asparagus by planting Fernleaf Dill or French Bronze Fennel in the center of your Potager.

~Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here