Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Legends

Posted by mrtoad 7b NC (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 8, 06 at 12:39

i am looking for legends, tales, stories that name or describe the things we grow in our gardens or lawns - i have posted an example below - thanks for any help you can give

mr toad

Hellebores: According to legend, a young shepherdess named Madelon was tending her sheep one cold and wintry night. As she watched over them, a group of wise men and other shepherds passed by, bearing gifts for the newly born Jesus. Madelon wept, because she had no gifts to bring the Newborn King, not even a simple flower....
An angel, upon hearing her weeping, appeared and brushed away the snow to reveal a most beautiful white flower tipped with pink - the Christmas Rose.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Legends

I'm suprised no one in the potager section has any stories.
I'll go ahead and post one about my very favorite herb:

Why rosemary flowers are Blue.

When Joseph and Mary fled to Egypt, a weary Mary spread her cloak on a white flowered rosemary. The flowers miraculously changed to the blue of Marys cloak. The Spanish name for rosemary is romero, meaning pilgrims plant, and comes from this legend. There is a type of rosemary with white flowers, but the rest bloom in shades of blue.

I have always heard that planting Rosemary near the entrance to a dwelling brings good luck.

o

I found this is Jessica Houdret's Practical Herb Garden (a great book).

Oregano, or in Latin, Origanum, means "joy of the mountains" from the Greek oros, a mountain, and ganos, brightness or joy.

According to legend, Aphrodite, Greek goddess of love, found this herb in the depths of the ocean and took it to the top of a mountain where it would be close to the sun's rays. Ever since it has been associated with the return of sunshine and warmth, with love and the banishing of sorrow.

o

thank you, "lavender lass"

o

This is a great topic, mrtoad :)

o
RE: Legend

I also saw a legend about angelica (same herb book).

According to legend, angelica gets its name from the angel who revealed its virtues to a monk, during a plague epidemic. It was widely thought to give protection from infection, and during the Great Plague of 1664-5, people were told to bite and chew on its roots.

Angelica has anti-inflammatory properties and lowers fevers, aid digestive orders and soothes sunburns, but the book says it should be used with caution.

In European folklore, angelica has an anicent reputation as having powers against witchcraft and evil spirits. In Lapland, poets wore crowns of angelica, supposedly to gain inspiration from its scent :)

o

I saw a cute story about bleeding heart on the Gardening with Kids forum. I didn't want to retype it all, but it's on the first page, if you want to check it out :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here