Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ivorykay

Locating a potager

ivorykay
16 years ago

I'd like to put in a garden this year (this is CT so I still have a little time). I know I want raised beds because we have soil, rock and mole issues. I like the look of the potager and have been toying with the idea of raised bed kits from raised-garden-beds.com. (Anybody use them?). What I'm having problems with is the location of the garden. Trying to balance the sunny, level locations yet not have it look like I plunked it down in the middle of the yard. Any suggestions on how to make this look tied to the house? Our yard is bounded by woods and is not squared. And then there is the arguement from DH, that it'll take up yard space! Well, we have an acre of grass (too much in my opinion) and I just had the realization that I AM THE ONE DOING THE MOWING! That arguement is shot! So how do I make this aesthetic looking?

Comments (6)

• boondoggle
    16 years ago

Search for an old post in this forum listing books on potagers. And the old pictures here are good. I know "southshore gardener" has a beautiful potager that could inspire you with ideas.

• aypcarson
    16 years ago

Thanks for the compliment Boondoggle.

Ivorykay, I tied my potaget to the house using a patio. I didn't get installed the first year so the potager was "plunked down" in the middle of the yard. I didn't think that it looked too bad. Also, I built beds around it for roses, herbs and perrenials. I think that this softens the look. DH built my raised beds from untreated lumber at Home Depot. They are 10 inches high.

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

Just found this. Ivorykay seems to have been reading my posts. I was wondering if you went thru with the potager and what it looks like. I love southshoregardener's pic but mine is further up and embankment from my house.
    Tammy

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Tammy- From your pictures on the other post, it sounds like your potager is going to look very much like this one...a white fence with an arbor and three or four beds with a perimeter bed. I think you should put it square in the middle of the back yard. This would be gorgeous!

DH can look at it this way...less mowing and better produce, due to more sunlight. If the beds get too difficult to keep up, put strawberries, asparagus, or other perennials in the interior beds and your raspberries along the exterior. If you underplant with alyssum or mulch, the weeds won't be such an issue. I prefer alyssum :)

I saw a post (I think it was on the cottage forum, I'll bump it up if I find it) where people were spending tens of thousands of dollars on potagers and giving their friends and business associates tours through them. Tens of thousands of dollars...and yours sounds much nicer than many of those gardens.

I say go for it and get hubby on board! Look how nicely this potager transitions with the patio and roses, etc. Yours will look beautiful too!. Remind DH...you can't eat grass (LOL)

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

Lol, I will remind DH how much he complains about mowing THAT grass. I am starting alyssum for just that reason. The weeding issue is also why I agreed to make it smaller.
    I wish it was the white picket. Right now to keep down expenses, hubby is putting up a 2 rail board fence. I guess if he see's things are going well maybe one of these days it will change. I had the chance to buy used brick to do all walkways for about $150, but he says it wont be level enough for that. Shot down again!
    Tammy

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner