Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gurley157fs

Early morning spring pictures

gurley157fs
18 years ago

Here are pics of the potager and yard 1st thing this morning. IÂm pleased to say that all of the babies are coming up and the little apple trees are leafing out. I do love this time of year!

I used to just add a link to my album but I have had to put a password on it so IÂll just have to post pics directly here:

Daylily garden and fruit trees

{{gwi:1152667}}

little water feature surrounded by squash and mint

{{gwi:1152669}}

{{gwi:1152671}}

Potager and butterfly garden beyond

{{gwi:1152673}}

Side garden, bananas, cannas, squash, germander and lots of other stuff

{{gwi:1152674}}

Comments (16)

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Looking good!
    I love that you made the potager in a circular pattern, and that you can look out on it from your screen porch!!

GGG

• faltered
    18 years ago

Gurley- I envy all of the space you have! That last picture just looks so serene with all of the trees in the background in the morning light. Just lovely.

Your new potager is looking great. Love that water feature in the middle.

Tracy

• soggy6_2006
    18 years ago

Gurley,

In the first photo (all beautiful!), what is the tree on the left? Is it the same as the one on the right?

Everything looks great!

Janna

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

That's great! I love seeing it because I am also doing a circular potager this year, and I can't seem to find any pictures of one anywhere, makes me wonder if I'm crazy for trying. If I am, at least I have company!

• crazymo
    18 years ago

Looks great! I love the water feature! Just saw a picture of another potager in a magazine that had a small water garden in the center. I have a couple of small water gardens in my flower bed but never even thought of putting one in the potager, but it really looks neat there!

• todancewithwolves
    18 years ago

All I can say is, WOW!, what a great job!

Can you share how you made the water feature? Does it have plumbing?

Edna

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

Very nice. I too like the pond in the center.

• Annie
    18 years ago

I love your yard and home. It looks so cool and inviting with the beautiful trees and green grass.
    Is that flowerbed against the house the one you made via Lasagna gardening? Love your screened-in porch. One thing I was looking forward to having if I had moved there.
    The little reflecting pool in your potager is very nice.
    Do you have any Cast Iron plants? They look lovely out under the canopy of tall trees.

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have to thank my wonderful DH for all of that space. Three years ago it was a tangle mess of trash and trees that he cleared with a bulldozer and backhoe - you couldn't even walk back there.

Janna, the tree on the left is a plum and the one on the right is a peach - I'm not sure of the varieties - I do hope I kept them on file somewhere.

Edna, the water feature is simply a $40 round 'pond' that we bought from Lowes last summer to have water enough for the dog to get into on dangerously hot days. It came with a tiny pump which I have not installed yet. I used to keep fish in my horse troughs all of the time and just overflowed them every other day. That is what I do here and it helps water the plants.

I left about 4 inches of it sticking up out of the ground, made a collar of plastic, and packed ten bags of gravel around it to the top edge. This way when I over flow it the water runs over the edge, out and away from the path towards the garden, the gravel gives it drainage so the that the clay and mulch on top does not turn into mush.

I will put in a small pump eventually but I have to be out of town for a bit and will probably not be able to get to it for a while.

The screen porch is actually my garden room that is off the side of DHs shop. This winter I am planning to convert it to a green house - I'm really excited about that!

Annie, all of my beds are lasagna beds - I'm too lazy to garden any other way.

As far as the circle goes :-) I have this 'thing' about square and pointed edges around the home. I try to avoid them. I know some of you may laugh but it has to do with flow of energy, positive energy and that kind of stuff.

PLUS it makes mowing very easy, just curves on the riding mower, no corners to weedeat.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing all of YOUR veggies and flowers! :-)

• harper
    18 years ago

I'm a little envious whenever I see someone with wide open spaces, but then I remind myself about the upkeep and that helps keep me grounded. LOL

Gurley, your space is lovely and it evokes a strong southern feeling.

My morning walk through the garden brought a couple nice surprises. One, the first ripe tomato and the other just inches above it ... a Monarch getting ready to emerge from its chrysalis. Had a couple meetings and errands to run during the day, but as soon as we got home around 5:30 I checked the garden and found a newly emerged adult.

Harper

Here is a link that might be useful: today in the garden

• georich5
    18 years ago

clap clap clap clap clap clap!

Don'tcha love it when a plan comes together?
    I'll bet you'll miss your porch while you're gone.
    I found some lemon grass at the grocery store that I'm sticking in my potager-to-be. Smells great.

georgeanne

• aromaticwings
    17 years ago

pout.. pics are gone from where posted.. where did you move them to? I would love to see them

• friesfan1
    17 years ago

I would love to see these photos as well !
    Mary

• friend
    17 years ago

me too

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I didn't realize there were so many posters here now. That's wonderful!
    I had reorganized my album so it would be easier for my mother to view and it broke the links.
    I haven't really had time to do more than read a few posts after work so I am just going to post a link to the album.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of the garden

• friesfan1
    17 years ago

Gurley,
    Thanks for sending the link to your pictures.
    I love the little pond in the center of the garden.
    The flowers are quite lovely!
    mary

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor