Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiffany_gw

New Garden Bed Design

kiffany
13 years ago

Hi,

Someone from the SFQ forum suggested that I post this in the potager forum. This is a picture of my new garden with beds in place. The middle beds are 4 x 4 the larger beds are 11 x 4. The small beds next to the sidewalk are potato bins. There are two 2' narrow perimeter beds that are marked out in string and not built yet.

The beds are not filled yet, so still time to rearrange. Any suggestions?

I will be working to install a drip system next.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden beds

Comments (11)

• natal
    13 years ago

Great layout and so big! Do you have plans for the center area of the middle beds? Will you be fencing in the space?

• kiffany
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are going to be putting in a fence around the whole yard, it will run between the perimeter beds and the sidewalk. This is actually the side yard next to our garage. It was the reason we bought this lot, I wanted a large garden space.

I was thinking of putting a sundial, bird bath, or one of these strawberry pyramids you can see in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: strawberry pyramid

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    13 years ago

Yes, great looking design. One thought---it looks like you have a slight slope down towards the street? If you do, I would suggest leveling each bed so that the soil is level inside each raised bed. When I was thinking about building my bed design, I put in one temporary 4'X 8' bed that just sat on the natural slope in my future potager area. One end was about 3" higher than the other end (the 8' run) & I found that in the 3 yrs. that the temporary bed was there, the soil gradually moved down hill. When I took it out & put in my new beds, I leveled each bed. As well as the soil staying in place better & I think it looked a little better that way also.

• mrtoad
    13 years ago

Before my suggestion � "nice layout and a great beginning" � please show us photos along the way

The suggestion I would make is �

Add another box or two the center areas of the garden � use these additional areas for permanent flower beds �

Example � in my center beds (5) I have planted knock out roses � stella de ora day lilies - in four of them and in the very center planted a sedum

A center water feature would be nice

In my thinking � note in "my" definition of potager � "the potager must contain flowers" � not all share this view

mr toad

• kiffany
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi MrToad,

I agree with you on the flowers. I like the center flower bed idea. I was planning on incorporating some flowers in the beds on the corners too.

• valree3
    13 years ago

Awesome beginning for your garden! Some ideas that popped into my head when I saw your pic. You mentioned that you will be having a fence between your walkway and garden, edge the 3 remainder sides of your garden box area with shrubs ( maybe boxwood? I cant grow them in my area - to cold and I have always wanted to grow them). Add an arbor on one side for entry to the garden and then you can grow something up on the arbor. In front of the shrubs on the outside of the garden boxes dig up some grass and make flower beds for flowers or a strawberry patch. The center of the garden beds maybe 2 small fruit trees (watch for shade in the garden)or 2 tall structures in each center (poles, bamboo tepees, tuteurs, old wooden ladders)you can add more climbing vines on the them or make 2 round beds for herbs,roses, tall slender shrubs. Your suggestions with a sundial or bird baths would be really pretty! Plant some flowers at the base of the bird baths or sundials. I have found that I my garden keeps growing, so plan for expansion! Good luck and keep us posted with what you do!

• peachymomo
    13 years ago

If this were my garden I would first think about where I would plant tomatoes, because that is always my first priority in a veggy garden :) And I would give them the largest space and a 4 year rotation, so the large rectangular beds would be my choice. I would make one a Tomato family bed, one a Squash family bed, one a Beans and Corn bed, and one a Cool Season crop bed (because I can garden 4 seasons, but I see that you are in Nebraska, so you might have to come up with a different choice for the 4th.) And then I would rotate them yearly.

For the smaller interior beds I would plant a mix of herbs and flowers, with some lettuce and other small veggies mixed in, maybe put something for vines to climb in the centers. I would dedicate at least one to perennial plants to provide a good habitat for beneficial insects and garden companions. Really any focal point in the centers of those beds would be nice, whether it's a bird bath or a fruit tree or a chair, and it can always change. Perhaps a fountain in the future, moving water is always a nice addition.

I would plant strawberries or some other kind of fruit or odd crop, like rhubarb or Jerusalem artichokes, in the small square beds in the corner near the street.

Lastly I would find a place for some fruit trees and shrubs, perhaps not too close to the veggy garden, I have mine on the other side of the property. But for me home grown fruit is a necessity, and many fruiting plants have the added bonus of also being very decorative. I am in a totally different climate so I will just advise going to a local nursery or asking over on the Fruit forum about fruits that would be good for you.

Good luck and good growing!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I absolutely love the garden! I wouldn't change a thing!

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

I think it is very pretty and will provide a gorgeous presentation except for the potato bins. They are pretty while the plant is growing, but as it nears the end they are really ugly. I would probably put something in front of them that will be growing tall by the time they die back.

• lpinkmountain
    12 years ago

May I be so bold as to suggest incorporating room for a little bench area with an arbor where you can sit in the shade and admire the fruits of your labors!

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

It is perfect! Good luck!