Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Peonies and roses for the entrances...what are you using?

lavender_lass
14 years ago

I want to include peonies and roses in my potager. I have some pretty and hardy roses (snow pavement, white with lavender undertones) already ordered, but I also have some beautiful, very old peonies that we inherited with the farm. They're white with burgandy/red edges and also some solid burgandy/red ones.

The roses have to go inside the fence, due to the deer, but I'm thinking of using the peonies at the entrances on the outside. They're deer resistant and would be beautiful in the spring. So, I'll have roses on the inside of the entrances and peonies on the outside. If I get any arches, I might try some purple clematis :)

What are you using for the entrances to your potager?

Comments (7)

• nycynthias
    14 years ago

Sounds gorgeous! For what it's worth I have quite a few roses planted in my unfenced front yard and HERDS of deer on a daily basis--they basically leave the roses alone as long as I have each plant or group of roses heavily surrounded by catmint.
    Anyway, to answer your question, I'm also thinking of doing a rose hedge on the outside of the fence that runs along one side of my potager. The inside of that fence line is taken up with more edibles. Since my potager itself is contained in a larger fenced area but won't be totally fenced on all 4 sides, I won't have clear entrances like most do. I'm having to sort of use structures to hint at edges; to that end we're using two dwarf fruit trees set into a semicircle of gravel at what I intend to be the main entrance point, along with possibly an arbor or arch, on which I will probably put both a climbing rose and a clematis. Along a third side, blueberry bushes are arriving soon, and they will eventually form a hedge. The fourth side is open to the rest of the back yard, and I'm still up in the air about what to put there, if anything. The water table there is only about 3" under the surface, so most plants are sort of unsuited for that area (we raised the potager site close to 6" and the beds themselves are another 14" high to get around this issue).

• carol6ma_7ari
    14 years ago

Climbing roses on the gateposts. Good idea, catmint around them.

Carol

• ali-b
    14 years ago

I like the idea of peonies at the sides of the entrance. Right now, my entrance is not symmetrical. I need to move some peonies and divide some of my catmint. Thanks for the ideas. I think 2 peonies on each side with a swath of catmint. At the ends of the garden fence I do have beauty berry and they look very neat in fall and the deer don't like 'em. They are slow to leaf out in spring though.

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

I have a couple of variegated weigelia i rooted last yr. I think I might put one of those on each side or near the corner. I am planning on Morning Glory Heavenly blue to go over the arbor. Come to think of it, I just moved a 4 ft cutting I rooted a couple of yrs ago of New Dawn. I might use it too, It wont take it long to cover.Might put it on the fence. Dont know about whether to put it on the arbor or on the fence. It is a sticky bugger.
    I love peonies lavender_lass. They are probably my favorite flower. I have been dividing mine every now and then. So none need it again yet, but I have one small one that needs moved.
    Tammy

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was thinking about using New Dawn on an arbor and many people on the cottage garden forum warned me about the thorns. The fence sounds like a good place, also easier to prune it that way. I've heard they get big, but very pretty :)

• ali-b
    14 years ago

Getting some great ideas. I have a variegated weigelia that I'm afraid to move since it was stuck so close to a beautiful pink azalea. I never thought about taking some cuttings from it and then I could just cut down the poor parent plant.

Tammyinwv, how long did your cuttings take to root?

I love morning glory, but they really can spread. Two years ago, I put some morning glory mix (not heavenly blue) to grow up the entrance arbor. Now, I'm finding seedlings everywhere in the garden. I'm glad the leaves are so distinctive so they're easy to identify and yank.

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

ali_b, I cant remember how long, but I know it seemed pretty quick. I just cut peices 6"-8" long, remove all lower leaves but the tip, stick in hormone, then put in a sheltered bed in my yard.Here it gets direct morning, with no direct afternoon sun. This bed always stays just a little damp. They seem to root very easy.The best thing is they grow about a foot a yr (at least mine does) sso it doesnt take long for a little cutting to be a nice size shrub.

Lavender_lass, my New Dawn does get pretty big, but not uncontrollable.It is a few yrs old, I have never cut it back, and right now the longest branches on it are probably 12 feet.I have it kinda controlled in a large metal obelisk. That kinda keeps it from hanging all over the ground. But everytime I walk into the terraced bed where its at, I get stuck.It is extremely thorny.Its beautiful in bloom tho. :)
    Tammy

ps. my fav rose (that I have) is Madame Isaac Pierre (sp?)Wonderful sweet smell!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction