Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovelycherry

How to plant in this Potager Garden

lovelycherry
16 years ago

I amnot sure how to plant in this garden. I measured the beds into 1 foot squares. I will have a mix of herbs, veggies and flowers. Thanks for your advice.

{{gwi:276009}}

{{gwi:276010}}

{{gwi:276011}}

{{gwi:378747}}

{{gwi:276013}}

Comments (8)

• deep_south_gardener
    16 years ago

Hello Lovelycherry,
    What a wonderful front yard you have.
    As for what to plant? I'd start with
    adding some organic matter to the soil
    and maybe some sand if drainage is a
    problem. The two sections nearest your
    driveway look like they get a little
    shade so I'd suggest lettuces and
    other shade tolerating veggies. Make
    a list of veggies and flowers you
    wish to include. Use graph paper or
    just plain drawing paper to figure
    out what you want where. You could
    use inexpensive arches for beans
    and cucumbers or even cherry tomatoes.
    Bamboo or even painted PVC pipe to
    form Teepees for climbing veggies
    or flowering vines for the middle
    of one or more of sections. What
    doesn't work this year can be next
    years new begining. Please keep us
    informed. Good luck.
    Brenda

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

I love your brick work. My thought would be to have the more ornamental herbs and flowers lining the front and sides since it appears to be in the front of your house.

• racdavmom
    16 years ago

Will someone please tell me why I'm not getting lovelycherry's pictures? There's nothing for me to click on to get linked to any picture.
    (??????)
    thanks!

• cougiecat
    15 years ago

I havn't yet had the opportunity to build a potager, but here are some ornamental edibles I would pick.
    Chives, marigolds, nasturtium are very ornamental flowering eddibles.
    maybe violets and lavender for their flowers.
    Scarlet runner beans are also beautiful, though I have not actually seen them in person.

Sage, parsley, and Cuban oregano have beautiful folliage.
    Lettuces, Cabbages, and Kale folliage give a garden a very lush full look.
    Beyond that, figure out what you like to eat, and plant that. As long as the garden is semi-symmetrical, healty, and full it will be beautiful.

Will love to see pictures when you have it planted up!

• lilion
    15 years ago

I know this thread is a year old...but I was wondering if there were any updates. I think this is just the prettiest set-up!

• little_dani
    15 years ago

I never saw this thread! Wow, this is exciting!

I love the layout, and I love the brickwork. It ties in nicely with the bricks on your house, and the multicolored work on the sidewalk.

As for planting, I would take a cue from the circle in the middle. Do you have the bowl for the birdbath? If not, I think I would move the pedestal, and plant a little rose garden in the middle. I would use antique roses, or those with antique properties, so you wouldn't have to do things like spray for black spot. Or you might want to consider a concrete sculpture, or a great big pot....there are lots of possibilities.

I would follow the circle when planting the beds. I would use a can of white spray paint, and paint a 'dot' at the intersection of each of your lines, and remove the lines to use in the other beds. The white paint will be there to show you where you want to plant, but can be turned under when you are done with it, or covered with mulch, to save it for later use.

On the inside circle, I would plant something low to the ground, and all the same plant. Creeping Jenny is a nice chartreuse color and a ground hugger, and would make a nice edge, all by itself. It would be beautiful on your bricks.

On the outside corners, I would plant the same plant on all corners. With an inside circle of color and the outside corners all the same, you will establish a pattern to tie your garden together. You could plant an arc at each corner, and put in a curved row of something. I would just repeat it on each corner.

What you plant in the inside parts of your garden is whatever you like. I would add some Swiss chard 'Bright Lights', just for the colors of the stalks. I love to grow it, both with my vegetables, and in my flower gardens.

I would love to see what you did with this garden, and I would like to see what it looks like next year. I think you have a lovely garden in the making here.

Good Luck!

Janie

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1152794}}

• little_dani
    15 years ago

Another thought about the pedestal, it would be nice with a pot on top of it, planted with hanging plants.

I wake up thinking about these things in the middle of the night sometimes, especially with I see so much potential.

Janie

• slogal
    15 years ago

Lovely! I, too would like to see updated pics.

The pedestal looks like the perfect place for a sundial (if it isn't too shaded by the trees).

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional