Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stacyp9

I was referred here from the design forum

stacyp9
17 years ago

Hi all,

I'm not sure what I am trying to do is true potager but this forum is the closest thing that describes it. Basically I have a new bed of perennials and shrubs that I also want to grow veggies in too and I want it all to look good!

The bed is shaped like a huge piece of pie, partially backed on one side by arborvitae and on another side by viburnum. A dwarf cherry is in the center. One end is partially shaded by a maple. This area will be reserved for ferns, hostas and other shade lovers. There are peony, azalea, heuchera and rhododenrum scattered around the bed.

The rest of the bed is full sun. Flowers are in the yellow or blue families, heliopsis, baptisia, ecchinecea, etc etc.

The veggies I want to grow are peppers (Karma and a red), lettuce, chard (bright lights), scarlet runner beans, rhubarb, tomatoe (sugary and early girl) and eggplant (a pretty purple and white variety.)

I am zone 5 with a last frost date of May 15. I am currently gambling with a few plants in three wall o waters to see if I can get a jump on things. My perennials are up and doing well. I am trying to resist further temptations at the nursery to make sure I leave enough room for all the veggies. It isn't easy!

Anyway, nice to meet you all.

Stacy

Comments (5)

• gurley157fs
    17 years ago

Hi Stacy!

This is a new forum so is still a little slow but I hope you will stick around.

My potager is a circle, quartered by four apple trees, and it is all brand new so it will take a while to settle in to the dream I have in my head.

In addition I just generally mix my edibles and ornamentals all over my yard.

BTW, my hometown in Elgin, Ill.. While I don't miss the winters up there, I do miss the lilacs, peonies and rhubarb!

• stacyp9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Haven't you heard? We don't have winter anymore! I shoveled three times this winter and the temps were so mild I didn't worry about lack of snowcover. Spring has been very odd as well. My lilacs are opening already. It seems like we are running about a month ahead of schedule.

So tell me, is this bed I described a potager bed or are they always raised?

I'm pretty good about babbling about plants, I'll do my part to help get this place up and running. : )

• crazymo
    17 years ago

Hi! I'm new here too after lurking around for awhile! We have a great big typical vegetable garden, but several years ago I saw a small magazine article on planting a small Potager garden and my imagination was captured! My husband built me three 9x9 raised beds. (No they don't have to be raised to be a potager) I was very excited to find this forum to get lot's of new ideas. I usually plant red and green lettuces, carrots, sweet basil, lemon basil, red rubin basil, egg plants, ornamental peppers, parsley, dill, nasturtiums, marigolds and pole beans with Morning Glories mixed in. I also have some strawberries, asparagus and chives. I fill in with whatever else catches my eyes that particular summer. This year after finding this site there are a hundred things I want to plant. Thanks for all the ideas!!

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Most French Potager photos I have seen are not raised beds at all. But for me it was the best idea A) it's a LONG way down to the ground for me, and B), I was planting directly on a grassy area so I needed to keep grass out without having do dig down (that would be too much work right now!!)

One thing to think about when designing a small potager is growing vegetables that take up less space or planning well for that space eg. vertical gardening, bushy plants instead of HUGE vines, miniature varieties (I'm planting miniature melons). Also, consider highly ornamental but tasty vegetables. I have Rosa Bianca eggplant, and my yard long beans this year have ornamental pods. I grow vining "Malabar" spinach with a purple stem, bush beans, tomatoes and peppers of various colors all help.
    For pollination, I would also suggest some perennial herbs or ornamantal perennial herbs. They attract bees and beneficial insects as well as being pretty!!!

GGG

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

GGG what are you growing your malabar spinach on? I have seeds, but haven't planted anything yet.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?