mrtoad
14 years ago

ideas, comments, and or suggestions concerning garden gloves

thanks

mr toad

Comments (9)

• carol6ma_7ari
    14 years ago

I've learned (by my wounds) to always wear gloves. Leather workgloves for pruning roses, and stretchy close-fitting ones for everything else.It's been hard to find small enough gloves so that my fingertips fit all the way up inside, but in the past year or 2 a glove co. new to me (Atlas, I think) started putting out really good ones for about $5 or 6. For close weeding and for planting tiny seedlings, they work well.

Carol

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

I wear leather gloves almost all the time when I'm gardening. There is too much old wire and debris not to (we live on an old farm). Now that I'm used to them, I really like them.

I do have a cute pair of lavender gardening gloves that I can use for planting small things, but they're still brand new. I hope to try them out later this spring :)

• natal
    14 years ago

My favorite is Atlas 370. Fits my hand snuggly. Easy on, easy off.

Here is a link that might be useful: good deal on discontinued colors

• juliegardens247
    14 years ago

Let's just say I try to remember to wear them. Needless to say I am in constant need of a manicure.

How/where do you store your gloves? I get the heebeejeebees at the thought of a spider finding its way into my gloves. I try to remember to bring them back into the house, but sometimes they get left outside. I squeeze the fingers and look inside before putting them on again. Wierd, I know.

Julie

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    14 years ago

The 2 most important things I can think of is to wear gloves suited to your task and when you find ones you like, buy multiple pairs. If I had to add a third, educate others to leave yours alone.

For the weeds of the desert, only leather gloves will do. Likewise moving big rocks. I tore a somewhat expensive pair of gloves using them on rocks when they should have been limited to vegetable beds. Dh has small hands but they are broad and most stores do not carry leather gloves in his size. When I find some that fit, I buy multiples. Don't spend too much money on gloves because they can become worn quickly. Dh goes through 2-3 pairs a year of the leather moving rocks. I am now on the lookout for waterproof gloves because there are some gardening chores where my hands get wet and if they get wet, they get cold, if they get cold they hurt.

I am also on the hunt for women's leather gloves in size large that are pink. If they are pink, no one else will use them.

Be forewarned though, even if you use gloves all the time, you still get dirt under your nails and find yourself in need of a strong hand cream. If anybody has a recommendation for one, I am all ears.

• chickadeemelrose
    14 years ago

tishtoshnm,

Neutrogena hand cream has never failed me (and winter is hard on my hands). I think it may even have paraffin in it.

Donna

• mrtoad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for all the answers and comments !!!

juliegardens - your fear of the spider reminded me of the following - mid-fifties - i on front porch - early in morning getting ready to have my little boy day - sitting on concrete steps putting on by brogans - a mouse was in the toe of one of the shoes - i think i was the first person to do "hip-hop" - - so many years ago :)

mr toad

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

mrtoad, my husband had the same thing happen with his work boots he left out on the porch. The kitties left him a present.
    Tammy

• nycynthias
    14 years ago

Funny...I never wear gloves. I keep buying them, and occasionally think to slip on a pair, but then my hands get hot and sweaty, I can't feel the soil properly, I break a delicate transplant, etc., and the gloves come off.
    No wonder my nails are totally ragged and filthy, and my wedding rings caked in schmutz from April to about June every year! LOL