Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy_d_r

do you eat your daylilies?

amy_d-r
17 years ago

Howdy,

So happy to have found you. I am just starting out with my potager and with gardening, period.

I read in Ken Druse's "The Natural Garden" that all daylilies are edible. In their homeland of Asia they eat the flower buds and they supposedly taste like asparagus (yum). He can never bring himself to kill the flower, so he just picks the blossoms at night as whole garnishes for soup, etc. or chopped into salad. He says they taste like sweet lettuce.

This just seems too good to be true. Have any of you eaten your daylilies and lived to tell about it? :)

-Amy

Comments (9)

• fireflyintexas
    17 years ago

Oh yes, I do! And your friend is right, daylilies taste so good...like the sweetest lettuce. I find I'm thinking about eating the first blossom when it appears (a ritual now...after having a full bed of daylilies for the past several years.) There are recipes on the internet that has you gather daylily blooms or full buds and stuff them with a nice cream cheese/cream/green onion/herbs mixture and stuffing them gently, then chilling and serving. Yummy-sounding. I would remove the pistil and stamens in the flower before eating, but it's only because I don't want to eat the pollen....although that, to some people, is good for you.
    They are beautiful and tasty!
    Pass the daylilies....I've eaten all the colors I have in my garden and they are all good. I think the lighter colored ones have a more delicate taste....just me.
    Enjoy!
    fireflyintexas

• decolady01
    17 years ago

Oh yes! We have been eating daylilies for years. Pick the buds and quickly sauté them. Similar to asparagus, but better. I've never tried the cream cheese stuffing of the flowers, but that sounds delicious. It's now on my list to try this year!

Becky

• linda_schreiber
    17 years ago

We have a plethora of daylilies, the early Fulvas. I have never been brave enough to try this. How mature do the 'buds' need to be when they are at their peak? Do you want them close to opening? Or when still very tight and young? The recipes I've seen over the years are rarely written by gardeners . What do really good buds look like when they are ready for harvest?

• amy_d-r
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yay! I'm so excited about experimenting this summer. I would've never thought to stuff them--that would be such an impressive and tasty treat.

• burntplants
    17 years ago

They are yummy...but I just can't bear to pick them out of my own garden!
    (I know...they wouldn't last that long anyways--but still!!)

Not as good IMHO as squash blossoms, but still yummy.
    One of my friend's mother always cooked them up.

Vicky's blog!

• megajas
    17 years ago

I've always eatten the fancy daylilies, but I was wondering, since we have so many of them, can you also eat the wild orange daylilies that you see all over the roadsides?

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

Lily flower soup is a kind of famous soup made with the JUST unopened buds of the daylily. They are often dried and then reconstituted for this soup. When we are in Virigina we go to our fave place, the Sunflower Cafe and drink in delicious aroma of their lily flower soup.

GGG

• myoneandonly
    16 years ago

The deer eat my daylilies before I can get to them. They've eaten them to the ground this year. I just sprayed what was left of them with liquid deer fence. I hope they stay away. I read that back in the Netherlands during the time of tulipomania, when people were paying fortunes for one tulip, that a bulb worth thousands of dollars was left on the kitchen table, and the peasant who was supposed to pot it up, mistakenly ate it. I've tried lilie petals but honestly didn't get that much out of it. I haven't tried tulip flowers or bulbs.

• greenwitch
    16 years ago

Just pull off a petal and chew on it - you'll find it's delicious.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County