Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wake UP everyone! Spring has sprung!

Posted by nancyjane_gardener USDA 8ish No CA (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 1:04

Well, I'm mostly planted up in the vege garden!
My daughters usually take me on an all you want flower buying trip for Mother's day, but I'm taking off to Hawaii for 2 weeks in a couple of weeks.....SO we'll put that off til we get back so THEY will have less to water while we're gone!
I was going to start actually landscaping our front yard (which is actually horse field type), but gave up when our daughter brought home a lab x pup! He digs everywhere and shows up with logs and toys from our dog that died 3 years ago! He shreds the logs in our living room, but keeps the squeaky toys intact!
We have re-done the herb garden to help get rid of some of the nasturtium, but are already having to pull it by the hand full to keep it in check!
How's your spring going? Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wake UP everyone! Spring has sprung!

I've only just planted my veggies. I'm in my first house with my first garden so I'm trying to figure out what's even in my garden. What to keep what to add. We made raised beds and put in sprinklers and made bean pole tips with our overgrown apple tree branches. I'm putting up an archway this week to grow tomatoes and squash on. It Will be made with rebar. Do you think it will be fine if the rows for the arch are one on the doth and one on north or will be too shaded to grow like that? I'm then thinking I'll use the arch to cover for winter garden hoop house. Thoughts? I'm new to all gardening so I'm probly making so e mistakes but I don't know!!! I live this!

o

I thought I answered this on another forum, but it was about green beans?
Tomatoes and squash, though... my tomatoes will get about 6-7 ft tall, so they could be tied to an arch, but my squash doesn't usually vine until late fall (maybe it's a bush type, or maybe it just takes longer here????) I'm just not seeing tomatoes or squash an archway type vege.
BUT! I'm in the west where it's slow and steady wins the race! I garden into November most years!
Happy gardening! Nancy

o

Don't know where you are, but in a lot of humid areas, it's not the best idea to use sprinklers. The plants stay damp and get diseases.
Either soaker hoses or drip irrigation are the best bets.
I normally run soaker hoses, but didn't have time this year. Drip doesn't work for me cause I have a well with a lot of drip clogging minerals. I find hand watering to be good therapy . Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here