Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa33_gw

What size obelisk for tomatoes?

lisa33
13 years ago

As a follow up to the "attractive tomato bed" thread, I have a question. I am hoping to grow a few indeterminate tomatoes and have decided I'd like to bite the bullet and buy a few obelisks for them. First, will this work? Second, how tall must they be? I've read some about pruning tomato suckers for productivity, but haven't found much on pruning for size. Is it possible to prune to limit height and still get good production? I've read about "topping off" 30 days before frost to get tomatoes to ripen.

My concern stems from the small size of my potager. It has been a long time since I've grown tomatoes in the ground, and I forgot how big they can get. What can I expect in my zone?

My obelisk choices are 5', 7' and 8'. 8' would look ludicrous in my small space, I think (the entire potager is only 14.5' wide and with a one foot lift in the raised bed, the obelisk would end up 9' in the air). From a visual standpoint, I think 5' would be about as big as I'd really want in the space. Is it a stupid question to ask if I can prune the tomatoes to keep them within that size? I figured only those of you here in the potager forum would understand a desire to balance the production of the plant with aesthetics! LOL. What I'm suggesting may be heresy.

Thanks so much in advance if you can help educate me!

Lisa

Comments (16)

• ali-b
    13 years ago

You could try growing some determinate or bush tomatoes that are good for containers. Or, you could definitely top your indeterminates to the size you want. You'll just lose out on any tomatoes that it would have set on the taller vines. I suppose for some it would be heresy to trim up your vines, but, hey, they're your 'maters!

This year I'm trying beefsteak and roma determinates and 4th of July and black pearl (cherry) indeterminates. I have square tomatoe trellises which are only 4 feet high so I'm in the same boat as you. I'll probably have to trim up by season's end.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    13 years ago

From a design sense, 9' would be about the perfect height for a 14.5' wide garden.

9 x the golden ratio = 14.5623059

• ali-b
    13 years ago

What a great observation! You can't argue with the aesthetics created by the golden ratio (1:1.618).

• chickadeemelrose
    13 years ago

With regard to the golden ratio - I just put in tomatoes here, in two rows of three each 2/12 feet apart, with two stakes criss-crossed next to each pair, for staking later. (There is a stake across all three pairs of stakes, tied to them, for stability.) The bed is 8 feet long.

Without realizing it I put in the stakes so they would be close to 5 feet tall in the raised bed (almost exactly the golden ratio), and I love the way they look. Accidental on my part, but I really like it.

I am going to remember that guideline in the future. Thanks for sharing it. :)

• chickadeemelrose
    13 years ago

With regard to the golden ratio - I just put in tomatoes here, in two rows of three each 2/12 feet apart, with two stakes criss-crossed next to each pair, for staking later. (There is a stake across all three pairs of stakes, tied to them, for stability.) The bed is 8 feet long.

Without realizing it I put in the stakes so they would be close to 5 feet tall in the raised bed (almost exactly the golden ratio), and I love the way they look. Accidental on my part, but I really like it.

I am going to remember that guideline in the future. Thanks for sharing it. :)

• gwenb
    13 years ago

So do you go by overall garden size or the size of the bed with the obelisk in it?

• maozamom NE Ohio
    13 years ago

If you wanted to take it further, your beds inside the garden could be 5.5', and the garden could be either 14.5' or 23.5' long.

• lisa33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Based on this interesting and helpful feedback, I just splurged and ordered obelisks. I ordered two 8' obelisks (one each for the furthest northern locations in the two northern beds). I also ordered 4 (!) 7' obelisks. I am going to try tomatoes cheek-by-jowl a la square foot gardening. I plan three obelisks each in the northern beds, oriented north to south in the center of each bed with the 8 footers in the back. I hope it works. I guess the theory is more production per square foot rather than maximizing production per plant. Considering that I want more varieties, this seems like something worth trying for me. We'll see! There's always next year. LOL.

If anyone is in the market for obelisks, I found a great coupon code for 30% off at well-known catalog company (P&H). I bit the bullet and considered this a one-time investment that will give me lots of flexibility in the future, too. Gotta love being a single woman sometimes. No one to second guess my splurges! LOL. Can't exactly hide obelisks like you can expensive shoes. Ha ha. Of course, all six obelisks cost less than one pair of Manolo Blahniks--how's that for justification?

Lisa

• lisa33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

By the way, I don't own any Manolo Blahniks. I'm a garden-ista, not a fashionista. LOL.

• natal
    13 years ago

You're definitely a gardenista, lol! Those are gonna be some pricey tomatoes! Did you buy the Classic obelisks? I have one of the 8 footers I use for flowering vines. It's very sturdy. Where did you find the 30% off coupon?

• natal
    13 years ago

Lisa, never mind ... found it. Bought a few things myself. Thanks!

• lisa33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad you found the coupon, natal! Yes, they are the classic obelisks in bronze.

The obelisks arrived yesterday morning. I was surprised to see them so quickly. UPS guy didn't look happy, especially because he had delivered a heavy wooden door to me the day before. I also hadn't thought about the assembly required--LOL. In retrospect that seems silly--what did I expect six big 7-8 foot packages? I have four of six assembled (it actually only takes about 10-15 minutes per obelisk and is very easy).

So far, I am very pleased but do need to figure out how to secure them in the garden. Any ideas? I am afraid a strong wind will knock them and my precious tomatoes to the ground. I've seen mentions of staking obelisks but don't really know what that entails.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help,

Lisa

• natal
    13 years ago

Lisa, the 8-footer I have has never budged ... not even during Hurricane Gustav. Wonder how much lighter the smaller obelisks are? Hmmm. Guess I'll find out.

I have a different obelisk in the kitchen garden that I stake with a few of these ...

• natal
    13 years ago

Lisa, sorry about that. I just checked the P&H obelisk and realized those stakes won't work. The other one I have sits on a flat base with no legs going into the ground, so it's easy to stake.

• natal
    13 years ago

Lisa, did you ever figure out what to use for stakes? I still think it might not be necessary. I got 2 of the 5' obelisks. They seem just as sturdy as the 8 footer.

• lisa33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You know, I think they seem awfully sturdy, too. So far I haven't felt a sense of urgency to stake them. I might end up regretting it, but so far none of them have budged in a few windy storms. It has occurred to me to tie them to each other since they are all in a row, but I don't know if that will help or hurt? Glad the 5' obelisks are nice, too.

Lisa

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville