Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandolls

Marigolds and slugs?

mandolls
13 years ago

I notice that a lot of you are edging beds with marigolds, and I know that they are supposed to act as a natural critter repellent, but last year I planted them for the first time and they seemed to be slug magnets! I had never noticed a major slug problem before in my yard, but the marigolds were covered with them!!

Anyone had similar experiences? I am wary of planting them around vegetables if they are going to attract the slugs.

Comments (10)

• ali-b
    13 years ago

I haven't noticed a difference. The slugs seem to prefer my lettuces and cabbage. Slugs love areas that are cool, moist and shaded. So, perhaps your marigolds are giving them those conditions.

• catalinagrey
    13 years ago

I plant marigolds to attract the slugs, so it's easier to pick them off. It is really gross to go out in the evening and see them crawling all over the blossoms. Yuck!

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

My mom and I always use the little orange marigolds with the strong fragrance. We joke that they're "stinky" but I just love them, as they've been in the garden every year, since I was a kid. I've never noticed slugs on them, but we live in a pretty dry area.

BTW, white geraniums are supposed to attract japanese beetles the way marigolds are supposed to attract slugs. (I don't think we have those either, but thought I'd pass that along.)

• natal
    13 years ago

I haven't had a slug problem for years. When I did I used Escar-Go!.

Here is a link that might be useful: Escar-Go!

• scarletdaisies
    13 years ago

The marigolds you get from the nursery are sometimes bred to have less odor, so it's best to use the French or Mexican marigolds. I catch a few slugs and leeches here and there, but that hasn't been my problem yet. I'm on a hilltop with too much drainage, so nothing can remain moist enough even during heavy rains.

• mandolls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have had an enormous amount of rain this year and I can't seem to stop myself from edging by beds with bricks and rocks - so I have created a heaven for slugs!

I finally ordered some sluggo which arrived yesterday. I did try the beer trays which have been working to some extent, but I think I need to take drastic measures.

Yesterday I discovered that the trays of annual seedlings that hadnt managed to get themselves planted, (my first year growing from seed indoors, so I have way to many plants!) were slug hotels!!! They were sitting outside by my garage door in partial shade and every single peat pot (over 100) had 2-3 baby slugs underneath.

Thats an awful lot of squished slugs! I think I will plant marigolds and use them as bait with the sluggo.

• scarletdaisies
    13 years ago

They still attract nice bugs, but maybe if you put out bird seed on the ground near them or catch a lizard and/ or frog, let them go in your garden, it might help you. Not sure what eats leaches accept those.

I had a huge old frog/toad in my backyard, every year for the first few years I lived here he would show up around the same place and let you pet him. A year or two went by and young one came by the same place, allowed me to pet him once or twice, not nearly as friendly. If they would stay, they would make a nice pet.

• L Brogdon
    7 years ago

I am so happy I found this dialogue. I planted marigolds in my potager last summer because I have seen others and knew they repelled mosquitoes. I thought they repelled all major pests for the garden as well. I sprinkled the seed from last year's plants all around the border of my garden area. Oh my word... Now I have to run out and pull up all the plants and uproot all the seedlings. The very last thing I need are slugs eating my beans, cucumbers and lettuce.

• john_mabbett
    6 years ago

I live in South Wales and we have more than our fair share of rain and I can definitively say that Welsh slugs love Marigolds. I am fighting a continuous war against the pests. I was interested to read Natal's comment on 'Escar-Go'. Natal lives in Louisiana. Has anyone in the UK tried this? I well remember Percy Thrower advising against chemical treatment as this deters birds from eating slugs.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996