Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
potager_newbie

Spring Revamp with Pics

potager_newbie
12 years ago

Spring greetings! It is so nice to get back on this forum and see new postings about sprouts and trellises and spring fever! We've had spring fever for a while, and have channeled it in to a remodel of the potager out back. It was too small and plain for my taste last season, though a good starting place for this new gardener (I guess you could call me green...)! Over our very short winter, we re-planned and expanded, and I'm happy to present our bigger and better garden this year!

Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think! I've been able to plant much more efficiently and use the spaces more wisely, and am enjoying a much better crop of green beans and root veggies so far (compared to last year). It has helped that I planted much earlier (started in late February), so my plans stand a fighting chance before it gets too hot!

I'm also trying corn for the first time, planted with sunflowers to make shade in the afternoon ('full sun' in my neck of Texas kills most plans pretty quickly if they don't get a break!). I've read that growing pole beans with corn is a good companion pairing- the corn supports the pole beans and the beans return to the soil what the corn takes. We'll see!

Happy gardening, I love reading everyone's posts and seeing pics of your beautiful gardens!

Here's my little space last year:

[IMG]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/cleburne_aggie/DSC01916.jpg[/IMG]

Here's after our revamp:

[IMG]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/cleburne_aggie/021.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/cleburne_aggie/022.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (15)

• potager_newbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Looks like I didn't do the pics right... here's another try!

Before:

After:

• natal
    12 years ago

You doubled your space ... looks great! What do you have planted around the vertical structures?

• potager_newbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

natal, thanks! The two trellises are for my first attempt at a 'tomato wall' where you weave the tomatoes up the grid-like trellises to save space and enable more plants! Each trellis supports 4 tomato plants :) Then I've bordered them with either lettuces or carrots.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

That is really pretty!

• ali-b
    12 years ago

Looks fantastic. I like your tomato walls and the stone edging.

• young-gardener
    12 years ago

I love those trellises! I wonder how they'd work with squash and cukes. I may have to do some experimenting with your idea because I just love the look.

• potager_newbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Young-gardenr- my father-in-law built them using cedar, they're basically 4 panels that are 2' wide and 4' high attached in the middle and anchored into the soil with U-shaped stakes. They are amazingly sturdy, and so far have been fairly easy to weave the tomatoes in and out of. There are 5 rows of squares on each panel. If you end up trying something similar, post pics, I'd love to see! :)

• pvel
    12 years ago

Hi, Potager newbie. Can you tell me where you got your edging stones. Is it natural stone as it appears to be or is it manufactured? Thanks, Paul

• potager_newbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We lucked out with the stone, it's natural and local limestone and it was lining a ravine in our front property. We just got out the good old wheel barrow and hauled it to our garden spot.

• KnitswellaCakes
    12 years ago

Everything looks lovely. I think your garden is going to be a smash hit this summer! Do post more photos, as the season goes on.

• cheleinri
    12 years ago

Looks great! Those trellises are brilliant. I need to show my husband.. How are they attached at the middle? Brackets?

• kashmi
    12 years ago

Heres another request for a bit more information about the construction of your wonderful tomato walls -- plus wanting to see pictures as the summer progresses.

Does the tomato foliage get so dense that there's not much ventilation? Here in New England "they" are warning about Late Blight again and suggesting that folks keep some space between tomato plants to help increase air circulation. Still, those walls look terrific!

Thanks in advance.

• potager_newbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry for the delay in responses... the Texas summer hit hard and fast, and I've been totally consumed with keeping my poor plants alive lately!

To answer the questions about the trellises: they are "rabbited" or notched pieces of cedar that fit together kinda like a puzzle, then screwed in place with galvanized screws.

I haven't had to worry about the tomato foliage getting too dense, because they just don't grow that thick before the heat halts their growth. It's a problem I'd LOVE to have, though!

Unfortunately, I failed to take any more good pics before the heat started crisping and drying most everything. I'll do better next season! Thank you for your kind words and encouragement!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Love it! It looks much more proportionate with your yard, too. Looks like it's been there for years. More mulch would help the moisture stay longer... if you ever get any there in TX.

• potager_newbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Purpleinopp- I'm glad you mentioned mulch, it's something that totally intimidates me... what do you use? What are some favorite recommendations? I don't want to use wood chips or anything that won't break down over the length of one season. I've thought about straw, but it's kinda hard to find in my area... I made the mistake of using grass clippings last year, and have been battling extra weeds in my garden as a result.

Tips? Advice?

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals