Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_bird_gw

Attractive, hopefully cheap, mulch that will be gone next year?

t-bird
13 years ago

I have a lawn gone bad on the side of the house....I am covering with cardboard with holes for the plants I want. This area will be expanded next year, but want some kind of attractive mulch this year. Something that would grow well in about an inch of dirt would be good too.

Any suggestions?

This is pretty much a full sun area....

Comments (4)

• lisa33
    13 years ago

Alyssum? Are you looking for an annual that won't self-seed, though? I am having a hard time thinking of any. Another that will self-seed is California Poppy. I had good luck starting both from seed this year and both are blooming now. Don't know if either suggestion helps! Hopefully others will chime in.

Lisa

• ali-b
    13 years ago

alyssum was my thought too. Although it does reseed. Maybe a few wave petunias to fill in the area until you're ready for next year.

• t-bird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do have a lot of allysum seed - and that is one thing that may be welcome back next year!

Wave petunias are lovely, but I don't want to put too many holes in the cardboard as these weeds are dreadful...just putting in spots for my blueberry and strawberry plants....

also - wave petunias would be pricey to purchase.....are they easy to start from seed?

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Alyssum will not only make a good mulch, but will attract beneficial insects to your garden...plus alyssum has a very nice fragrance :)

Sponsored