Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attractive, hopefully cheap, mulch that will be gone next year?

Posted by t-bird (My Page) on
Sun, May 30, 10 at 11:32

I have a lawn gone bad on the side of the house....I am covering with cardboard with holes for the plants I want. This area will be expanded next year, but want some kind of attractive mulch this year. Something that would grow well in about an inch of dirt would be good too.

Any suggestions?

This is pretty much a full sun area....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attractive, hopefully cheap, mulch that will be gone next ye

• Posted by lisa33 Zone 6b PA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 30, 10 at 13:44

Alyssum? Are you looking for an annual that won't self-seed, though? I am having a hard time thinking of any. Another that will self-seed is California Poppy. I had good luck starting both from seed this year and both are blooming now. Don't know if either suggestion helps! Hopefully others will chime in.

Lisa

o

alyssum was my thought too. Although it does reseed. Maybe a few wave petunias to fill in the area until you're ready for next year.

o

I do have a lot of allysum seed - and that is one thing that may be welcome back next year!

Wave petunias are lovely, but I don't want to put too many holes in the cardboard as these weeds are dreadful...just putting in spots for my blueberry and strawberry plants....

also - wave petunias would be pricey to purchase.....are they easy to start from seed?

o

Alyssum will not only make a good mulch, but will attract beneficial insects to your garden...plus alyssum has a very nice fragrance :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here