Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
manzomecorvus

thrillers, fillers, spillers

manzomecorvus
16 years ago

I don't know about the rest of y'all,but it seems there is lots of books on how to create raised bed gardens and lots of books on how to grow veggies. There still isn't, however, a lot of info on how to combine veggies, flowers, and herbs to get that "wow".

Well I picked up a magazine last night (Vol 4 Container Gardens - Fine Gardening/Taunton Press) and I realized the container formula they were talking outa work the same for a raised bed.

Here's the formula (copied from a longer thread on the container forum):

"Now if you want something more exciting, think in terms of combinations according to this recipe: thriller, filler, spiller. The thriller is a big, bold, plant with height and presence that you put in center or back/center of the pot, the spillers obviously come out of the pot and cascade down, fillers are the in between ones that complement and weave through the thriller. A simple shade formula is Elephant Ear for the thriller, coleus for the fillers, and creeping jenny for the spiller. Elephant Ears come in green, chartreuse (Lime Zinger) or Purples so dark they look black. Coleus come in every shade and variegation you can almost imagine and the creeping jenny is chartreuse."

In fact, I have been doing some of this, but certainly not consistently in every bed. For example,in one bed I already have beans on a teepee (thriller). Now I am thinking I need to plant some basil around the base (filler) and plant some verbena along the edge (spiller). Another bed I have anise hyssop (thriller), now I need to plant some dwarf blanketflower (filler) and maybe some fanflower or hanging oregano (spiller).

So here's my question to y'all. Can we put our heads together and think of some commonly grown plants we can use for these different categories? I am ready to do some experimentation!

Comments (13)

• frances_dk
    16 years ago

I'm really interested in this, too, and agree that it's not described in any of the books I've seen. Unfortunately, I'm not too good at figuring this kind of thing out (even for pots), so I'm not much help :(

• wolfe15136
    16 years ago

well, some of the cabbages can be great as the filler, and any squash, melon or cuke as the spiller.

• farmer_at_heart
    16 years ago

I sort of use this concept along with companion planting. I am not using raised beds, I divided my big row garden into 4 x 4 squares. In the middle of each is a tomato or cuke in a square cage. Surrounded by Eggplants or Peppers for mid height, then Carrots or herbs on each corner for frillier filler. Chard or other tall greens would also make a great back drop.
    Then I'm edge with soldier rows of marigolds to define the planting squares from the path to introduce some order.

Then on the heavy wire fence, I have planted sweet peas to climb and nasturtium to take over the edge and hide the fact that I'm not weedwhacking! Natsurtium makes a great "spiller". I think I have a nice article on vegetable containers saved at home. I'll have to look it up. I know it showed shorter varieties of corn as "thrillers".

• buffburd
    16 years ago

I second the notion of Nasturtiums as spillers, this is mid to late summer, they filled out even more as Autumn approached.

I may have overdone the thrilling with this, this year I'm thinking of using corn stalks (as mentioned above) to give the bed some height, and of course nasturtiums again.

{{gwi:140943}}

• manzomecorvus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wow, buffburd - thats just the kind of bed I am talking about!

wolfe and farmer- great ideas. I am trying bush watermelon (burpees carries seed) this year. I have them trained up on the fence, but they would definitely make a good spiller - the vines only get 3 feet long.

Frances, go down to your local plant nursery and start looking around and ask the employees for suggestions! Went to a garden store today and bought okra (thriller) and creeping zinnia (spiller) and gomphrena (filler). I also bought some ornamental sweet potato vines (spiller) to tuck into front of my pots of elephant ears. Now I am thinking about it, I am seeing all kind of new possibilities!

• ghoghunter
    16 years ago

Wow what great ideas!! In my imagination I can see a big Brussel sprout as a thriller!!! I am now waiting for some help to have three more raised beds built. How come when people tell you they are coming to build something they then never call back or show up??!!! I have a small potager now and was hoping to have three more to play with. Well I will just keep reading this thread and enjoy the pictures and make plans!!!
    Joann

• farmer_at_heart
    16 years ago

Let's not forget the Artichoke for a thriller! I looked all over this year for plants. Looks like I am going to have to start some from seeds.

Other good fillers are purple basil and flowering cabbage for color.

• myoneandonly
    16 years ago

YES farmer, artichoke, and how about cardoon? Has anyone ever grown one? They look gorgeous, very architectural, but certainly not space savers lol.

Buffbird, you haven't overdone it. What a traffic stopper. So this year you are growing corn? You must show us.

Wolfe suggested cabbages as fillers. Once I saw five cabbages stuffed into a large blue container. They were stunning, the purple and green of the leaf against the French blue of the container. They were used as the centerpiece of a raised bed. In this case the cabbages were definitely the thrillers, because although the rest of the bed was gorgeous, I can't remember anything except the cabbages.

There is a series on edible landscaping by Rosalind Creasy that has one volume on French and another on Italian veggies and flowers. There were some very showy combinations as I recall. Sorry, my books are in storage at the moment, or I'd look them up.

• angelcub
    16 years ago

Good topic! farmer at heart, I am trying artichokes this year for the first time. I found them in 4" pots at Lowes but it's been at least two months since I bought and planted them. Now that the temps are heating up they are starting to take off. : )

I haven't planted anything around them since I've heard they get huge. I generally just do "spillers" at the edges of my beds with a few annuals for fillers. I like the nasturtiums but I'm afraid they might take over my beds out here in CA. lol!

Diana

• ghoghunter
    16 years ago

Well I never got my three new potagers built but for a thriller I put my new obelisk in my potager and I am training some Cypress vine to grow on it. I also have tomatoes and basil and parsley growing in the bed. I don't really have any spillers. I also have some pretty nicotiana to brighten it up around the edges and a nice thyme plant and the one corner!

• manzomecorvus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

so ghoghunter, where are the pix? we want to see!

• User
    16 years ago

I thought I would bring this back up. This type of container gardening has just got my attention..Here is a nice link to learn more about this way of planting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thriller, filler and spiller

• kayhh
    16 years ago

I'm glad you bumped this, iameve. And I enjoyed the link. This subject has been on my mind, what with early spring planning time upon us.

I have a 60' long bed that is 4' wide. 1' in from the west side of the garden there is a fence that runs the legth of the garden that is used for my vining veggies as well as a few decorative flowering vines. Tomatoes, peppers, black eyed susan vine and brussel sprouts are definate thrillers. Lobellia, basil, cabbage, lettuce, snap dragons are fillers. not to mention the vining beans and cukes being background fillers....and that is just what I am growing from seed and under lights. I will be making my annual pilgrimage to the big greenhouses up in the next county for more.

Also, there are 6 large pots in there that serve both as focal points, and as a good hot spot for heat lovers like cukes and hot peppers. The cukes vine up the fence, compact hot pepper plants fill in the center and a flowering spiller or two to balance it out.

I do have about 8 inches of growing space on the west side of the fence where I plant the green beans. The house is to the south east of the garden and nobody ever goes to the west side except to pick veggies or mow the strip of lawn back there. Last year I found this to be wasted space and figure I will use it this year for cutting flowers and more greens. It won't get any morning sun, with the vining plants shading it, but plenty after about 2 pm until near sunset.

Cutting flowers and spillers for the pots. That is what I will need....along with more fillers. I would like to read about what veggie/herb/flower combos people have found to be particularly attractive and well balanced.

I can't wait for the snow to melt!!! kay.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths