Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Provence style garden...any ideas?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I still have one area of the potager that needs some design help. I'm putting (on the outside of the fence) blueberries on one side, shrubs and perennials to attract bugs on the next side, asparagus with some flowers on the third side, but the front side needs some help. I would love to do some sunflowers and other "provence" style flowers that would really say "sunny french country garden" as you walk up to the main entrance of the potager.

It's a fairly long space (maybe 40' feet) with an entrance roughly in the middle. Still trying to decide on type of gate too. The side with the asparagus has a small arch and gate with clematis that will be planted there. That faces the road, but this side faces the house and is on the southwest side of the garden. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

Comments (7)

• chickadeemelrose
    13 years ago

I have never been to Provence, but I know that quite a few Impressionist painters painted there. You might want to check out their paintings (Monet, etc.) to see what appears in their paintings, especially landscapes and garden paintings.

I have always had the impression that lavender features in the gardens of Provence. (Whoa! lavender lass!)

Good luck with ideas!

Donna

• lisa33
    13 years ago

Lots of green, well-manicured boxwoods, lots of herbs like rosemary, terra cotta in droves, maybe an arbor with a grape vine? Lots of yellow and gold and orange counterbalanced with blues and lavender.

Sounds pretty!

Lisa

• tammyinwv
    13 years ago

I just bought some Peach Passion Sunflowers to plant in the front bed. I needed something low growing that wouldnt block the sun. You got some wonderful ideas above. I dont know know anything about Provence style.
    tammy

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After trying to come up with ideas, I'm thinking of using some of the flowers (sunflowers, lavender, geraniums) in front of the potager. Herbs and a few gallica roses already have a spot in the potager. The hard part is finding plants that will winter over in our zone, so boxwoods are difficult.

It's a pretty big space, so I'm thinking maybe I'll put in the sunflowers along the back and have some lavender by the gate and some pots for the geraniums, but the main part of the front bed might be a good place for my Cinderella pumpkins and the bean teepee and watermelons my nephew wants to grow :) He's very excited to try baby pumpkins and climbing beans on the teepee and all the types of watermelons he can find! LOL

• chickadeemelrose
    13 years ago

Hi,

After deliberating for a few days on the idea of a theme for my potager, I kept leaving the "Irish Garden" idea (it kept sounding bleak) and coming back to the Monet painting "The Artist's Garden at Vetheuil." I have a copy of it on my fridge. It really is how I want my garden to look. It's colorful, has a child playing on the path, and sunflowers lining the path. I had this effect in my potager two years ago, so I am going to return to that theme, only add whatever personal touches I can come up with!

I finished the little walkway today to make the entrance to the garden nicer (and avoid tripping!) Between that being done and deciding what feeling I want the garden to have I am thrilled!

lavender lass, it sounds like you have a good handle on your plan as well. I can just see the geraniums in pots, the sunflowers and lavender - beautiful. Not to mention the pumpkins and watermelon! Your nephew is very lucky to have you for an auntie!

I am dying to post some photos and will as soon as I can.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna- A Monet inspired garden sounds wonderful! Sunflowers lining a path...very romantic/old world feel to the garden. Depending on how big your garden is (or if you have other areas) you could still do a small "Irish garden" corner :)

I'm doing that in the potager...most of it is kind of a provence/mediterranean feel, but I do have the Peter Rabbit garden on one end. I think it will work, since there are "kid touches" all through the garden...and the fairy garden is not too far from the potager! LOL

• ali-b
    13 years ago

Must add my 2 cents on the Irish theme. Chickadee, if you do decide on an Irish corner, I recommend planting some shamrocks bulbs (oxalis). I threw some in my front perimeter bed. They have reddish green leaves and deep pink flowers. So cute. I have mini ones, but at my other house, I had bigger shamrocks that bloomed all summer.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES