Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Potager Layout - do you think this will do?

Posted by spottedhorsegal 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 15:13

Hello,

After a few years of different garden layouts and trying to thwart the pocket gophers, I have determined that raised beds and a potager - style layout is my best solution.

My garden area is about 62' x 52'. The asparagus bed and the blackberry bushes cannot be moved easily, so I have attempted to plan around them.

The little creek running from south to north was added to the garden this year to better direct irrigation overflow.

My desire is for the garden to be beautiful and functional. Many of the beds are 3' wide; I had tried to make them 4' but I couldn't make it work with the overall dimensions and the symmetry I was trying to employ. I have a mixture of 3' and 4' paths.

Any input on the design below is welcome!
Thanks!

Potager Layout

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Potager Layout - do you think this will do?

It looks lovely. I actually would prefer my beds to be 3 feet deep. When purchasing things such as row covers and perforated plastic, it seems that they fit the beds that are 3 feet wide much better. Good luck.

o

Wow! Amazing garden plan...I'm looking forward to seeing pictures, especially of your cattle panels with blackberries and trumpet vine! The little bridge is great, too. Very nice plan :)

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Fri, May 4, 12 at 11:22

That's quite a project! Can't wait to see photos.

You may want to reconsider the trumpet vine. It can be very invasive. Before I knew that I bought one and kept it in a pot in one of my garden paths over the winter trying to decide where to plant it. I'm SO grateful I never did. By the time I realized what a thug it could be it had already put out roots far beyond the pot and they weren't east to dig up.

o

What a great plan! You have so many different beds that will make crop rotation much easier. I can't wait to see some pictures too.

o

I agree on the trumpet vine! DH dug and dug that thing and it still came back!
They are very pretty if they are in full sun and in an out of the way area that you don't want invaded. Just my $.02. Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here