Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennybird_gw

Rabbits

jennybird
17 years ago

I need help!!!! This is my 3rd year in my house and I have never experienced a problem like I have now with rabbits. They are eating everything. Even the plants people swear rabbits won't touch, they eat. I have 2 roses that came through the winter. They were looking so healthy, with new shoots. I went out Sat morning, all the new growth is gone. They have even stripped the "bark" off the rose shoots. This is depressing & expensive. I would appreciate any ideas/solutions people have to offer.

Comments (8)

• seamommy
    17 years ago

That sounds like deer to me, not rabbits. When I had a problem with rabbits I had to put up a chain link fence around my garden. Then I had snakes because the only thing that could get my garden was the snakes and mice. Then I got cats. They got rid of the snakes and the mice, but then I had to get them spayed. It just goes to show ya, it's always something...

• friesfan1
    17 years ago

Hi Jenny,
    I had the same problem last year. The rabbits ate
    Everything! Even my Hen & Chicks!
    I was feeling desperate as well. They were eating
    my silver lace vine, that I even put a can around
    and sheared it off right even with the can!

I planted marigolds around that, hoping to deter them.
    I also, was told to use human hair. So if you know
    a beautitian that would be willing to give you her
    hair, rather than throw it out that may help.

I ended up putting cat poop around in my garden.
    That seemed to help alot. My cats are all indoor
    cats, so it was easy to just put it around the plants
    most at risk. So far this season I havent noticed
    them eating me out of yard and garden.
    Mary

• squarefooterg
    17 years ago

did you try a fence.

• angelcub
    17 years ago

Jenny, I know exactly how you feel. There were several years when I didn't have outside cats so the rabbits saw my gardens as salad bar central. This is rabbit heaven up here, and we won't even talk about the over populated CA. ground squirrel. Bleepin' rats with fuzzy tails! And don't anyone tell me how sweet they are - they carry bubonic plague, as well as a host of other diseases.

Long story short, we ended up putting hardware cloth all around the front picket fence and the small part of the back we have fenced in chain link. Rabbits need at least a two foot barrier. And I have 3 kitties that go out in the day so they have been keeping the ground squirrels away. I actually got to eat some of my apricots and blueberries the last couple of years thanks to my cats. Our dog used to do a terrific job of keeping critters out but she is slowing down in her old age - I can relate to that, too. ; )

The human hair trick never worked for me, nor did any of the sprays for this type of thing. I know fencing can be expensive but it's really the only sure-fire fix. I hope you can do even a small area so you can enjoy your gardens again.

Hugs, Di

The link is to a pic where you can see some of the hardware cloth inside the picket fence. It's not the most attractive remedy but I was able to take back my garden from those wascals!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• alicate
    17 years ago

I have the best idea; buy a "Scarecrow" motion activated sprinkler. These are made for gardeners to keep out bunnies, deer, cats and other things. It has stopped the cat from using my boxes as litter boxes and the deer from munchin on everything including my lucious strawberries. I cannot say enough good things about this sprinkler. It is pricey but soooooo worth it. I will be buying a second!

• jennybird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. My dad has terrible problems w/deer, but we don't have too many where I am, I know my problem is the rabbits. A fence is in the plans. I would like a picket fence and know I will need to line the bottom of it. Di, I think your fence looks great and it is exactly what I was thinking. Chain link fences don't keep them out, they slip right through. I do have an outdoor cat who has turned into a real good little hunter. I have to admit, my first summer at this house, I would chase her down and save the bunnies. Now I just let her have them. She gets pretty fat & lazy in the winter, so I am ready for her to get back into her hunting shape;)Alicate, it is so interesting you mentioned the "Scarecrow". My sister gave one to me last fall and I have'nt had a chance to use it. I'll need to explain this to the cat before I start using it, but will set it up tomorrow. I love the pictures of all the wonderful gardens and hope to have some before & afters to share someday. Thanks for all the great advice.
    Jenny

• happyintexas
    17 years ago

I had bunnies eating EVERYTHING this winter. Our old outdoor cat used up his nine lives and isn't here to hunt the little critters. We have a fence around our potager, but while it keeps the dogs out, it doesn't phase the rabbits.

I use a homemade spray. Blend two eggs with a drop of dish soap in a quart of water. Spray on the plants the bunny likes. Evidently, they don't like the egg smell of this spray. Soon the bunnies will find another yard to munch and leave yours alone.

I can't tell you how happy I am with this very cheap to make spray. The rabbits had stripped five new one gallon dwarf burfords, as well as roses, daylilies, pansies, veggies and Indian hawthorne. After spraying a few times, I don't have to spray now. The bunnies have moved on....for the moment.

Happy

• shellva
    17 years ago

I have a 5 ft chain link fence around my back property and then I have a little potager area enclosed in the corner. Last year I had a rabbit visit the potager on a very regular basis. Apparently rabbits can fit through chain link. I never saw any veggie/flower damage though.

I do have a lot of clover in my yard. I don't know if rabbits eat clover but the one that visited me left carrots, peppers, tomatoes, roses and a bunch of other flowery type plants alone.

Later in the season my dogs killed a total of 3 rabbits in about a months time. These rabbits were caught in the regular yard area where my dogs are allowed. These rabbits were not caught in the potager.

I will keep an eye out for rabbits visiting my edible garden area this year and if I see any damage I'm going to give fox urine a try? Anyone know any pros/cons to predator urine other than I hear it smells very foul. I haven't had the guts to open up the bottle yet..ugh.

Michelle

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists