Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandolls

Not really a Potager............Yet

mandolls
12 years ago

..........but maybe when it grows up it will be.

I planted my first vegetable garden in these raised beds last year and am expanding to fill much of the back yard this year. There is still a lot of work to do. I will be adding at least this many more raised beds this weekend and formalizing paths.

I am looking for advice on what else to plant in and around the arches.They are 5 feet wide at the bottom, and about 6.5 feet tall. The two with cucumbers arch N/S so the inside will get decent sun in the morning. The arch with the beans goes E/W so it will need to be something that likes some shade. I had thought about putting in some moonflower and morning-glory seeds and letting them grow up with the cucumbers and beans that are planted. There is room under the arch to plant something and still have room to get under and harvest. I keep going back and forth between flowers or vegetables.

View looking out my back window (there will be a meandering path that goes through the existing beds)

View of entrance arch looking back at the house. You cant see them, but between the posts I have planted two apples, a pear and a cherry (all dwarf) that will be espaliered into a "fence". There are melon planted for the entrance arch, and a friend is bringing me grape cuttings this fall.

View of garden so far. Far left is the arch with pole beans, raised beds are full of Broccoli, Cabbage, Romenesco, Radishes, Carrots, lots of lettuces, Arugula and Spinach. Arches on the side of the yard are planted with cucumbers.

I have Tomatoes, Eggplant, Peppers, Zuchinni and lots of Basil all started and waiting for their beds. I also have almost 100 Dahlia tubers potted up, though most of them will go between the entrance and the house.

I know most people "plan" these types of gardens a little more specifically than I have, but it will continue getting tweaked as it expands. I had a little fence around the raised beds last year, but the rabbits dont seem to be jumping up into them and the deer aren't coming through my yard at all this year, so I am going to do without, at least for now.

Comments (11)

• Donna
    12 years ago

I love your arches. They will be perfect for peas or pole beans, which, for my tastes, are the best tasting beans. There's no reason in the world you can't mix in some morning glories or moon vines with them if you like. You could also plant Scarlet Runner Beans or Purple Pole beans, both of which are ornamental AND edible. (We love the purple beans.)

Alot of people grow cucumbers, squash, and even melons (complicated, but possible) on fences. They take a bit of assistance to get going up the fence, but they do quite well.

The only problem I see with the arches is how shady they will be when vines cover them. However, you could certainly experiment with lettuces, carrots, onions, and maybe even beets under them. These are cool season crops in my area, but with your cooler climate and the shade of the vines during the heat of the day, you might very well be able to make it happen. The only way to know for sure is to try. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

• mandolls
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Donna - I did put in some Moon flower vine and Morning glory seed on the arches yesterday. Also some nasturtium with the beans. I grew my cucumbers on a fence last year and they did well, and the melons I planted are small, MN midgets and Yellow Doll watermelons, so they should trellis well. I think getting in the rest of the raised beds and getting rid of most of the grass is going to make a big difference in the look.

• t-bird
    12 years ago

how about an updated pic?

• nancyjane_gardener
    12 years ago

I don't know if morning glories and nasturtiums re-seed in the spring in your area, but I end up pulling them like weeds when they get in my vege garden!
    I plant them in different areas OUTSIDE the garden or they come back as pests the next year.
    Nancy

• ali-b
    12 years ago

I hear you on the morning glories. I planted them the first year I had my garden, 3 years ago. I haven't had to replant them since. I just pull up the ones that aren't near my trellises.

Mandolls- your arches look strong enough to support nearly any veggie vine. How about trombocino squash? I'm trying some this year. They're really starting to take off after having to replant them. (Hehe, I apparently filled the cell pack with seed starting mix labeled it nicely and then didn't plant any of the seeds. I got suspicious when all the other squashes were up and growing and no trombocino....)

• soonergrandmom
    12 years ago

I have grown trombocino squash on a cattle panel arch for several years now and it works great.

• mandolls
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK - here are some updated pics. But I am afraid that my garden is still a mess. I had half of my yard excavated for a new septic system, and the weather has been uncooperative this summer (hot hot hot - or rain rain rain.) I still haven't formalized the paths, so it is kind of weedy. Still, parts of it are looking beautiful, and the weather is cooling down, so I am hoping to at least get it to the point where next year I have something solid to work with.

The melon trellace is looking lush, not a lot of melons, but there is still at least a month before frost.

{{gwi:91916}}

The tomatoes have turned into a giant wall, which blocks the view of the rest of the graden from the house, so I will change that next year.

The cucumber arches are lovely with the morning glories on them. But the cuckes have some sort of fungus, so I am battling that.

{{gwi:67799}}

This is a over all view from the back of the garden

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Productive veggies growing there & lots of options with those arches. Lovely red tomatoes. I'm jealous as I only have greens here in western WA.

Perhaps, the cucumbers need more air circulation, so removing some of the flower vines might help. Is it mildew?

• silversword
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!! And I love your arches too.

In the second pic, to the right of the melon and in front of the tomato... what are those beautiful green things on the posts?

• mandolls
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks - I know that once I get it all together I will be proud. Right now its difficult for me to see anything other than all of the work I still need to do.

The tomatoes just started to ripen, I ate the first 3 last night!. It has been fairly productive, except for the beans. During the septic installation a tree crashed onto the bean arch and pretty much yanked them all out of the ground or broke them. I made a curry last night with eggplant, tomato, cabbage, red peppers, jalapeno, and broccoli all from the garden.

The cukes have some sort of blight, not mildew. The worst off are the Armenians which are not in the pics. I will move them away from the woods next year and give them a little more space.

Growing in front of the vegetable garden are about 35 Dahlias, They are behind this year. Most have buds and a couple have started to bloom, but in a month they will be a riot of color.

• silversword
    12 years ago

I know what you mean. I have so many projects, and it's so hard to see anything except what needs to be done.

And now I have another project, building me some of those bean hoops!!

Sponsored