Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Potting Shed' painted and potager planted (pics)

Posted by lisa33 Zone 6b PA (My Page) on
Sat, May 15, 10 at 19:12

Big leap forward this week as far as my new potager is concerned. I finished the beds last Saturday and planted (sorta) this week. The herb bed is all planted and the other beds are half planted. I was waiting for the compost to settle in the beds.

Yesterday I pressure washed the little garage/shed and today I painted and hung accessories. What a difference. Not sure how I feel about the colors I chose. I really am a little challenged when it comes to color. I have pretty much confidence in other elements of my decisions, but color always gets me. I had been agonizing about a shade of grayish moss green for the main color and got sick of the mental debate and made a spur of the moment choice of a shade of blue. Go figure. The purple shutters were an impulse choice, too. Unfortunately, the blue color seems to photograph as electric blue when it is really a gray blue (somewhere between slate blue and maybe denim). Not loving that!

Photobucket

And here is a close up of the window. The plants in the flower box aren't staying there in that combination. I just grabbed a few things in pots to put in temporarily for the photo. Also, please ignore the brick holding the window box up. Still haven't installed that permanently!

Photobucket

Thanks for the advice about the obelisks. I think when the fence is installed (30" outside of the stone beds) the width will balance the height of the obelisks nicely.

I'm so excited about it. Can't wait for the fence to go in so I can plant the perimeter beds. Next on the agenda is to find a bench that fits so that I can sit and enjoy it!

Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Potting Shed' painted and potager planted (pics)

Lisa, what are you going to use for fencing? Your stonework is just incredible. Can we see a photo from the side?
Renee

o

WOW- fantastic. A job well cone!!

o

Lisa- Your potager is beautiful!

I love the blue color on the shed...I think it's even better than the green you had planned originally. Your perimeter fence is going to look amazing and a bench will be the perfect finishing touch :)

o

I am so jealous!

o

WOW!!! Not only is it absolutely charming, but I have to give you huge kudos, because girl? You busted that out FAST! It looks really, really fantastic!

o

Wow! Beautiful, lovely, great inspiration here. THANKS for the pics.....I'm jealous too.

o

I feel like such a slacker!

o

By the way, I was just checking out the pics again, and I have to say, I LOVE the blue. Heck, I even like the crazy electric version in the first pic, even though I know the actual color is closer to the second photo. I think a shot of vibrant color in a potager is awesome and I'm cuing off Jennifer Bartley by spraying my pea supports bright cobalt blue :)

o

Aww, you guys are cool. I ran into a neighbor two doors down the other day and felt damned by faint praise. "It looks....good. I saw your sign." It is great to have this forum to share our efforts with people who get it. Thank you!!!

Nycynthias, thanks for the vote of confidence on the color. I am committing to it since Sherwin Williams is having a 25% off sale for Memorial Day. I just bought two more gallons of the blue! I do wish it photographed more true to color, though.

Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here