Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nycynthias

Lusting for a Lavender Alternative??

nycynthias
13 years ago

As I mention in many of my posts, I am absolutely in love with catmint (nepeta). I have a hard time growing lavender in my heavy clay soil, but I really wanted the look of a lavender-walk along my front walkway. I substituted catmint of several varieties, including Walker's Low and Blue Wonder. These plants were small 1 qt sizes when they went in the ground in August (!!!) of last year. Not only have they flourished, but the awesome thing is that they bloom literally from mid-May to early November in my Zone 6 New York garden. Another bonus: deer absolutely hate them! In fact I can't think of any pest or problem bothers them. The flowers are not really that fragrant, though the foliage can be, but they do have semi-fuzzy leaves. The deer hate them so much that I use them as permanent deer-repellant around my roses as well.

I just wanted to share a few photos I snapped this morning, to give you potager-gardeners an option in case you also love the look of lavender but have a hard time growing it in your soil/zone. It makes a fantastic border, as you can see, but it also makes a great addition to any perennial bed or even a rock garden (I have them in both scenarios elsewhere in the property).

This is the front walkway to my house:

Comments (15)

• natal
    13 years ago

That's absolutely gorgeous! Lavender doesn't like the climate down here. I wonder if catmint does? Off to search.

Btw, how's your potager coming along?

• lisa33
    13 years ago

That's so beautiful!! I love catmint, too. I absolutely love the look of the mass planting. I wish I had the space to do some of that, but on 1/10th of an acre with a lust for growing everything, I don't have much of a chance!

Your photos also reminded me of one of a hedge of caryopteris 'Longwood Blue' at Longwood gardens. I have both 'Longwood Blue' and 'Dark Knight.' Worth trying if you like that airy blue/purple look (which I love, too!).

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1153477}}

• chickadeemelrose
    13 years ago

What a gorgeous view it is coming up your walk. It must just be wonderful every time you see it.

Your advice is excellent, lavender is so beautiful and something you'd think all gardeners would have, but for some it truly would be a constant "trying to keep it going" battle because of the soil/other factors. To offer an alternative that is beautiful and manageable for others is a great thing!:)

I also love catmint, I just put some in my potager section near some cauliflower plants. Actually I divided the thriving catmint plant into three plants to place apart in the garden. The plant's flowers, foliage, scent and growth habit all complement my garden really well.

Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Nycynthias- Is the catmint in the first picture Walker's Low or Blue Wonder? Thanks :)

• juliegardens247
    13 years ago

That's so funny. I read the title of your post thinking you were looking for a lavender alternative. My quick answer was going to be... Nepeta!

It is really a no brainer in my area too. Simply beautiful and so useful. Can never have enough purples in a garden.

• nycynthias
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Lavender_lass, they are all interplanted actually, but I think the first picture has more Walker's Low in it. The main difference between the two varieties seems to be that Blue Wonder seems to be a slightly deeper shade of purple. I see almost no difference in ultimate height or width between them, which is odd, but *shrug*. I also have a few Six Hills Giant, but they are also just about identical to the rest, and certainly not obviously "gigantic". LOL!

I am wondering--do any of you grow any of the pink or even less common white nepetas? If so, what have your experiences with them been like?

• gjmancini
    13 years ago

artemesia or russian sage are similar.

• mandolls
    13 years ago

Do you know if all cat mint works as deer and critter repellent? I am growing it from seed right now and have half a tray of seedlings. I actually planted it for my cat, and was just planning on putting it in an out of the way place in the side of the yard, but your post is making me consider mixing it with the garlic chives that I also have growing specifically to ring my new garden with as a critter repellent.

• nycynthias
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mandolls, I am not sure about cats, but it is *definitely* a very good deep repellent! I use it around my roses and even though we have 4-5 whole herds of deer come through on a daily basis, they never, ever nibble them. In fact, with this much catmint, these days the only deer damage I really ever experience is early spring chomping of daylily foliage--before the catmint has really come up. Occasionally they will also nibble my garden phlox, but I'm sticking a few more catmints in front of it this week to foil those efforts too!

• tammyinwv
    13 years ago

Beautiful! especially your home. I thought I wanted Walker's Low, but if that darker one is Blue Wonder (bottom pic, and middle of the top) then thats what I want. I didnt realize they bloom for so long. By the way, I have had a major problem with deer for many years here. But I refused to give in. Last fall I hung pouches made from old hose with milorganite in them. I hung them at eye level around the trees bordering my back yard. I havent had a problem since in the back yard. I even had tulips this yr for the first time in many years. Cant say the same for my front yard tho, since I didnt try and protect it.
    Tammy

• merindah
    13 years ago

Stunning!

• ali-b
    13 years ago

Your walkway looks terrific. And, it'll be that way for most of the summer.

Mandolls mentioned about growing it for the cat. Cats usually prefer catnip. Although our late cat, Carbon, absolutely loved to lie right on top of one of the catmints we had at our other house. He left the others alone. Sometimes he'd be paws up in the middle of it. Fortunately, it was tough enough to bounce back after his snoozes.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I love your house.
    Renee

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I got a Walker's Low catmint to try...and the barn kitties have shown very little interest! I'm going to get a lot more to put around the roses and in the kitchen garden :)

Thanks for the beautiful pictures and the inspiration. If you still want to try lavender, Hidcote lavender puts up with my clay soil, cold winters and probably far too much water. I have it planted with the roses and water it all the time. It has a great fragrance and beautiful flowers!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!