Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
todancewithwolves

Potager before and after pictures

todancewithwolves
17 years ago

In the beginning I had an idea for the side of the garage. Built 2 frames, ordered a mix of topsoil, mulch and compost.

{{gwi:1151513}}

Sowed seeds and added a few starters like marigolds, geraniums and nasturums.

{{gwi:523424}}

TaDa! Seeds emerged. Sunflowers, bronze fennel, spinach, spring onions, yellow onions, garlic, basil, cilantro, cherry tomato, black krum tomato, chives, Thai peppers, eggplant, babies breath, bachalor buttons, more nasturum and a fushia. Potted blue spruce from Christmas.

{{gwi:1153489}}

Another view. Notice the parsley growing out of the driveway crack. I haven't the heart to remove it. Hopefully it'll attract butterflies to lay eggs.

{{gwi:1153490}}

Edna

Comments (13)

• gurley157fs
    17 years ago

Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together? Looking Great! I hope you solved that problem with the neighbors lawn service blowing stuff in your yard. I would just be in a fit! What are you harvesting at the moment?

I keep meaning to post my potager before and after pics, well shoot let me just post the link - here goes:

Here is a link that might be useful: more before and after

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Harvested so much mesclun mix I'm so sick of salad *LOL* If I only had fresh tomatoes to go with.

The neighbors landscaper has been pretty good after I gave them "the look" and swept everything back over while they were watching me. Think they got the hint?

You have made incredible strides in your huge oasis. I'm sure there were many bengay moments. How are your birdhouses coming along and where are you placing them?

Edna

• mac_t
    17 years ago

Excellent pics. I'm starting on the hardscape for the potager behind my "new" 1905 prairie cottage.
    BTW: What is the secret to growing cilantro? I've been told that it doesn't do well in warm soil (T>80F). That doesn't make sense with Mexico and Viet Nam (for examples) being big consumers of cilantro.

Mac

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Did all that come up like that already this year?!!!
    Boy, do I ever live in the wrong zone!!

Haziemoon

• ntaylor_2006
    17 years ago

What a beautiful genisis!!lol.....both of you have done yourselves proud. Kudos to you.

regards.

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's a good question Mac. I sowed seeds in April and the cilantro is just now taking off. Temps have reached 80's and I notice it's starting to grow stocks, which I don't want.

I must say this new forum has been a great learning experience. Thank you all for teaching me so much.

Edna

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Here is the one I put in this spring

Before

After.....today
    {{gwi:1153491}}

{{gwi:1152819}}

• little_dani
    17 years ago

Great job, all! I love before and after pictures!

Janie

• gldno1
    17 years ago

I loved the before and after photos. What a great job everyone has done....tried to see yours Gurley, but Photobucket was doing maintenance ....will check back later

• downeastwaves
    17 years ago

Edna,

LOVELY! JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

Leasa

• haxuan
    17 years ago

Edna... I was slow in looking at your beautiful garden. Just wish mine would look the same some of the days! No doubt you're a good gardener.
    I have some "before" photos now but I don't have the "afters" yet. In fact, we've just finished putting in the hardscape of our garden in Dalat. Maybe a few more months will be needed before I can show you guys my complete garden.
    For now, here're some of my plants (and an old photo of two of our dogs - Be and Bi - for Edna specially!){{gwi:1153493}}
    {{gwi:384028}}{{gwi:1153494}}
    {{gwi:1153496}}

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Xuan - I'm sorry I missed your post. I've been so busy I completely forgot about this site. Your dogs are so cute! Give them a pat on the head from me :-)

I sure wish I could grow those delicious Vietnames hot peppers.

Edna

• shellva
    17 years ago

I want ya'll for neighbors!!!! Can't you all move to north east north carolina???? Pretty please?!?

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia