Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mowing Strawberries Worked!

Posted by tammyinwv z6/WV (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 20:55

Mid June last year, my strawberries were done producing their measly harvest. I had read that you should mow the June bearing plants down to a couple of inches above the crowns. So I thought I would give it a try. Today i noticed it worked. I had triple the blooms on my plants than I have had for the last 2 years total. You can read more at link below.
Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: Mowing Strawberries

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mowing Strawberries Worked!

The strawberries in my school garden have gone wild...plant wise, but only a few berries showing yet.
I had not heard of mowing them!
I don't grow them myself cause I was allergic as a kid and lingering things make them taste very bitter! DH tastes them and says they are really sweet, I taste one per year and they taste very bitter!
We (they, I'm retiring this summer) are having to move to another school that doesn't have a garden space ;( , so I'm going to take the strawberries with me.
Thanks for the info! Nancy

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 25, 13 at 13:49

Good news Tammy - and your strawberry border there is very cute!

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Sun, May 26, 13 at 10:55

Tammy, congrates on the thriving strawberries & thanks for sharing your photo. I've read that mowing is good for June bearing, but not everbearing or day neutral types.

Both types like mulch and a bit of fertilizer. I give ours some rabbit manure with the waste hay the bunnies drop. I wait until the tulip petals fall, so the soil has warmed some, but not too warm yet as strawberries like cool, moist soil.

Remember to bait for slugs! I have to put out deer deterrents, too because they love the foliage. Maybe more than I love fresh strawberries!

Corrine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here