Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

Green Garlic

Donna
14 years ago

Okay, I am pretty new to this forum so this may be old hat, but here is a tidbit of info I want to share in the hopes that it's news to more than just me.

I recently noticed that a nearly entire head of garlic I had purchased at the grocery store had begun to sprout: green spears coming out of every single clove. It made me remember something that is in "The Bountiful Container" about green garlic. The author, Rose Marie Nichols, says this is the easiest way to grow and the tastiest way to use garlic. You simply stick the cloves into the ground about 1 to 2 inches deep and water. Then, you can cut the green tops off and use them in cooking. She says this gives a milder garlic flavor and is a gourmet treat. I thought, Why not?, so I planted them around the edges of my tomatos. In three days, they had grown nearly six inches tall! Nichols says you can cut the green tops back up to five times before you kill the cloves, and then after that you can dig the cloves and use them, along with baby cloves that may have formed! I haven't cooked with them yet, but will let you know when I try them. This is such fun!

Comments (7)