Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Garlic

Posted by donnabaskets 7b-8 MS (My Page) on
Fri, May 1, 09 at 22:19

Okay, I am pretty new to this forum so this may be old hat, but here is a tidbit of info I want to share in the hopes that it's news to more than just me.

I recently noticed that a nearly entire head of garlic I had purchased at the grocery store had begun to sprout: green spears coming out of every single clove. It made me remember something that is in "The Bountiful Container" about green garlic. The author, Rose Marie Nichols, says this is the easiest way to grow and the tastiest way to use garlic. You simply stick the cloves into the ground about 1 to 2 inches deep and water. Then, you can cut the green tops off and use them in cooking. She says this gives a milder garlic flavor and is a gourmet treat. I thought, Why not?, so I planted them around the edges of my tomatos. In three days, they had grown nearly six inches tall! Nichols says you can cut the green tops back up to five times before you kill the cloves, and then after that you can dig the cloves and use them, along with baby cloves that may have formed! I haven't cooked with them yet, but will let you know when I try them. This is such fun!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Garlic

Have never grown garlic, but I want to know how to. I am anxious to hear your result. Please keep us informed!

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sat, May 2, 09 at 18:36

Sort of like using garlic chives?

o

Green Garlic is preferred by some. In hotter climates it is harder to hold over simply because the garlic likes cooler temps (plant in fall here for spring harvest). Why not experiment and try some in a shadier location and see if that works for you?

o

Great suggestion! I still have some garlic in storage from last year's garden. Most of it has started to go green, but I couldn't bring myself to throw it in the compost pile. I guess I'll plant it and see what happens!

Thanks!
-Diggity

o

jmpete,

Garlic is ridiculously easy to grow! Just buy a head of garlic at the store, preferably organic--apparently conventional store-bought is sometimes treated to prevent sprouting. Break apart the cloves and plant them 4-6" deep, about 6" apart, in the fall. I plant around Halloween in my zone so it has a little time to root and send up a couple shoots before really cold weather arrives. Mine stays green the entire winter before really resuming growth in the spring. When all but a couple leaves turn brown, it's ready to harvest. Put it in a shady, dry place for a couple days to dry out, and it stores great. I've never tried cutting the greens, but have heard both they and the scapes (flowers) are tasty as well, and can be cut without losing the bulbs.

Definitely my easiest crop!

Lori

o

The green garlic was indeed very tasty while it lasted. As someone said above, it evidently doesn't like hot weather, and so appears to have died or gone dormant. I will definitely be doing this in the fall.

o

If you plant garlic in the traditional way (fall, to harvest the following summer) be sure to harvest the new scapes that appear in late spring! These are delicious and should be removed anyway for a bigger, better bulb harvest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here