Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa33_gw

New potager progress here, too! So excited!

lisa33
13 years ago

I am so excited that I am finally making some substantive progress on my potager. I just had to post here because I think everyone else in my life just thinks I'm a little nuts. No one seems to even know what a potager is!

I posted this picture on another thread. It's sorta the 'before' picture (although it's after I cultivated and marked out my plans in the dirt). I plan to paint the building you see a cottage-y green. I have shutters and I think I'm going to paint that window box black (and actually fasten it under the window! It's just propped up there at the moment).

{{gwi:658851}}

Here's the space from early this afternoon as I was working on the back right bed and retaining wall. The paths are very dirty so it's hard to see, but I used fieldstone steppers. I plan to plant in the cracks. I wintersowed creeping thyme, but due to a mishap, don't have much. Any suggestions for what to plant there? I just love the "Potting Shed" sign that I found at an antique store. I plan to put that up above the window. I also have two old wooden ladders that will serve as trellises on either side of the building. That's an Altisimmo climbing rose to the right.

And here is a different angle, a little later in the day as I started the second of four beds. As you can see, I put cardboard in the bottom. You can ignore the random extra stone I have laying around (like the small rocks in the center of the circle I made of brick). It's a work in progress, to say the least!

Anyway, I am so excited! I just had to share with someone. I can't wait to get the beds finished, filled and planted! I won't bore you with anymore details.

Thanks for reading and looking!

Lisa

Comments (12)

• nycynthias
    13 years ago

Lisa, it looks so lovely! I really, really like the stacked stone. Gonna be perfect for drainage, in addition to looking awesome.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Lisa- That is just going to be an incredible garden! It looks like the kind of New England garden you would expect to see on This Old House...just beautiful. I can't wait to see what it looks like when you get it planted!

In between the stones, I think thyme would look nice. My mom's favorite is lemon thyme since it smells so nice, but I'm not sure how tall it gets. Keep posting pictures :)

• t-bird
    13 years ago

Looking gorgeous!

Wow - such a great use of the stones - looks so wonderful, I want to walk those paths!

• lisa33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the kind words! It's both complete torture and a blast building this. It's very hard work but very gratifying. Here's today's progress:

{{gwi:684163}}

I'm having compost delivered tomorrow so I can fill the two completed beds before I build the last two. Woo hoo!

I have given very little specific thought as to what I want to plant in the beds. Definitely lots of herbs, tomatoes, beans, maybe peppers. Lettuce and spinach in the cool seasons. I'd love suggestions on what to plant and how to organize it. I think I'd like to put a couple of obelisks in the two beds closest to the building. It has been a very, very long time since I've had a dedicated space for vegetables and herbs, so recommendations would be really appreciated.

Thanks again!

Lisa

• t-bird
    13 years ago

Lisa - those are lovely!

are you using any adhesive with the beds, or just stacking them?

Also - I'd like to get some huge quantities of topsoil/manure when I do my beds....any advice on how to source suppliers?

Thanks!

• gwenb
    13 years ago

Holy moly,this is nice! No, not boring me at all!

If I wanted to get some of that flat rock, exactly what would I ask for? I really really like it.

Can't wait to see more pics as you go along. And of course, of the finished potager filled with plants!

• lulabellesview
    13 years ago

Lisa - your design is lovely and I'm so impressed with your hardscape abilities!! Great job.

Love the potting shed sign too.

• nycynthias
    13 years ago

Woweeee, this just keeps getting prettier! Way to go, Lisa!!

t-bird, my local stoneyard is a great source for screened topsoil, though not manure. They even sell compost, not that I buy it from them.

gwenb, I sourced stone by looking up gravel/stone yards in my area--Google was semi-helpful, but I had to sift through a lot of unrelated results. So I used the old-school method: phone book ;) When purchasing flattish stones like this, you would ask for irregular pavers, and you can specify the thickness within a range (2-4" for instance). In my region, most of them are bluestone (which looks to be what Lisa is using as well), but in other areas they might be flagstone, sandstone, etc. Tons of variety out there!

• ali-b
    13 years ago

What a fantastic looking plot! It will look good even just sitting there with nothing in it. The flagstone pathway between is a great idea too. When I first looked I assumed you were building on top of an existing patio then I re-looked at the before picture. Nope, great work.

• lisa33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone! I have now finished three beds and have started on the fourth. I have a male friend coming over this afternoon to help fill two of the beds (I filled one by carrying 5 gallon buckets of wet compost--ouch!).

The stone is dry-stacked. What I got is thin wallstone. The reason I went with thin is that I wanted to be able to easily carry the stone myself. Also, I wanted the overall wall to be as thin as possible because the stone relative to the outside dimension of the beds eats up planting space. I got it from a local quarry this time, but I got it at a stone yard when I did the retaining wall in front of my house. If you have patience and determination, this is totally doable. It's like a big 3D puzzle.

As far as the material to fill the beds, I ended up ordering it from a local garden center run by an agricultural college. However, the head horticulturist at my favorite big commercial garden center also recommended another private supplier. I was really surprised how willing many of the people at the garden centers were to recommend options other than what was available to buy at their business. I'd go to some good garden centers and ask for recommendations.

Thanks again...your nice words are helping to keep me going.

Lisa

• chickadeemelrose
    13 years ago

Hi!

Beautiful work. You must be so happy with what you've done, it's gorgeous. It is such hard work, but when you get to sit in your new potager it will be worth it!

About planting between the stones - two other options that are used for that are woolly thyme and mother-of-thyme.

Also - I am in the process of filling some of my beds, and I just finished a little bitty sitting area (5 x 5). I found two used, old fashioned metal garden chairs, which I can paint, and I sat in one today to survey my tiny potager. It was so great to have a seat there to do that.
    I highly recommend it!

Enjoy your beautiful space! :)

Donna

• robynscottdesigns
    13 years ago

THIS IS AWESOME! The photographs are very inspirational!