Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

My Potagers 2006 & New terraced garden 2007

Annie
16 years ago

Here is a link to my album if you care to have a look.

The first page is some from last year's Potager up on the hill above the house (formerly the Herb Garden)

The second part shows the stages of this year's Make-Over of the kitchen garden down by the back of the house (taken from early March 2007 thru last week) into a terraced garden or Potager. Some of the photos are out of sequence, but they are dated and you can see the progression.

It will never stay the same. I change my gardens every year or so, moving things about and adding new things. I try new plants and like to try to find new ways to grow them. I experiment with plants in this area of the country - what grows well and is of course hardy enough to take the extremes of Oklahoma weather. I am already contemplating changing everything back to my old-fashioned country gardens and creating a new herb garden up in front of the greenhouse next year, but for now I will enjoy them.

As you can see, I prefer an informal garden setting to the formal. A formal garden would look strange with my little Country Cottage, I think. I like to grow lots of unique and yummy vegetables, especially Tomatoes, Okra and hot peppers. I can them and freeze some of the surplus for winter. We eat fresh every day in the season thereof and give some away to friends and family.

On the north side of the garden are Plum trees, Shrub Cherries and Peaches. Hope to plant Apricots this year and perhaps some Asian Pears. There are Apple trees, Peaches, and Bartlett pears in the orchard below the garden. I have Black berries and strawberries and would like to grow grapes for making jams. On the south side of my cottage I have a Brown Turkey Fig tree that bears sweet, pink-fleshed figs and I have two Loquat trees in large containers that I hope will someday produce fruit. Up on the hill in the meadow grows thickets of Native Prairie Sand Plums. I brave the the dense thickets of fierce, well-armed thorny branches, the snakes and other wildlife that make their home under and around the protection of the plum thickets, and the chiggers and mosquitos that bite, just to get at the sweet little red skinned, yellow-fleshed plums that produce the most delectable Plum Jam every summer. Of course, I always leave a good amount of fruit for the wildlife who share this land with me.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

~Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Gardens

Comments (8)

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Annie, I enjoyed my early morning stroll through your garden.
    Truly enjoyed it. I was wondering why you changed from a regular kitchen garden to the potager beds. Does it appeal to you more, easier to keep or ???? Just curious. I know it took a lot of work to make those beds.

• memo3
    16 years ago

Morning Annie, I knew you were up to something special since you've been AWOL for a while lol. I love love love your new potager garden. I'm amazed at how much everything has grown already. It must be warmer down there,overall, than it has been in Nebraska. My tomatos are just, finally, starting to put on growth. I really like the rustic feel of your gardens. I know you've put in an enourmous amount of work. Formal gardens would be somewhat silly looking here too but I do still intend to enclose mine with hedges just to keep as many critters out of it as I can. I'll be building raised boxes in a few weeks (for next year's garden) out of pine slabs, put together in a log cabin fashion....easy peasy with a chainsaw. I have added two new beds this year myself. Everything looks wonderful in your garden. I hope you continue to get the rains!

MeMo

• irene_dsc
    16 years ago

I love it! So many different things to look at!

Irene

• moonphase
    16 years ago

Annie,I have really enjoyed also seeing your gardens.I love your design and the way you laid out your potager.I really love the way everything intermingles.Also like the stepping stones.I see all your hard work but boy,it is a gorgeous finish.I too am always changing and moving so can relate to nothing never stays the same.I love doing new things myself.
    moonphase

• diggity_ma
    16 years ago

Love it, love it, love it!

You've done such a great job mixing flowers with vegetables. I've realized that somewhere in the back of my head that old stereotype kicked in again (girls plant flowers, guys plant vegetables). Consequently, my potager is about 99% veggies this year. But looking through the pictures of your fabulous work makes me want to run out and buy some flowers!

-Diggity

• Annie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Everyone!

I am always in awe at your gardens, so it is nice to hear your kind words about mine.

Sadly, right now, my gardens are all in immediate threat of ruin. We have had non-stop rain for 2 weeks and the forecast is that we have at least another week of more rain in the forecast. Everything is standing in water and many of the plants in my 2 veggie gardens are starting to turn black and rot or are getting moldy.
    I went out in the rain to dig little trenches to try to drain off the pools of water in the growing areas. It helped, but the ground is terribly saturated and it is still pouring down. There is nowhere for the water to go.
    The Cimarron River north of here is above flood stage. It is lapping against the bottom of the bridge, and that is about 30+ feet above the normal water level! With more rain in the forecast, it seems pretty certain that the water will soon rise above the river banks and flood the low-lying areas on either side and potentially with all the flood debris will wash out the bridge and others.
    Wish someone could figure out how to pipe all this excess water to California and other areas of the country where it needed so much. The Low Pressure that has been hanging over our region of the country for weeks is supposed to soon move down into the SW and give you there all the rain that you need and let us dry out (and probably COOK).
    The sun came out for 30 minutes two days ago and I was able to get out in the yard to take a few more pictures of flowers and the upper Potager. We are supposed to get up to 8 more inches of rain here in Oklahoma in the next 24 hours. I am going to drive over to the Cimarron tomorrow and take pictures of the flooding river.
    {{gwi:1153719}}
    ~ Annie

• amyjean
    16 years ago

Annie, Your potager is beautiful! I loved the photo showing a fruit tree seemingly at the end of a path of flowers and vegetables. My question is this (and I may have missed the answer somewhere above -I that case I apologize): How large is your potager? You mention an orchard. Are the two combined? Any comments on your design style I'd also appreciate. Thank you! Amy

• Tracy Brant
    16 years ago

Annie, what happened with the rain? Were your gardens flooded out?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting