Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gurley157fs

Squash/Zucchini gone wild - recipes

gurley157fs
17 years ago

I am picking a large bucket a day from the garden now and called on my aunt for help on what to do with all of it. My neighbors are already getting tired of me giving it to them; she responded with the following recipes.

Zucchini Bread

1 cup walnuts chopped

4 eggs

2 cups sugar

1 cup veg. oil

3 1/2 cups unsifted flour

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

3/4 tsp baking powder

2 cups grated zucchini not peeled

1 cup raisins

1 tsp vanilla

Beat eggs. Gradually beat in sugar & oil. Combine dry

ingredients & add to egg mixture alternately with zucchini.

Stir in raisins, walnuts & vanilla. Pour in to greased and

floured loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 55 minutes. Let stand 10

minutes before removing from pans. Makes 2 loaves.

Note: You can leave raisins out if you wish. One 20 oz can

of drained crushed pineapple can be added, but baking time

may be longer. Pecans can be substituted for walnuts if you

prefer.

Zucchini/Squash stew

I don't know why this wouldn't work with freezing instead of

canning. I made up when we had a big garden. I started

out with the biggest pot I had which was a canning pot.

Whatever amount of unpeeled zucchini you have that you want

to use, cut it in 1/4 inch pieces. If you have fresh

tomatoes use that otherwise you can use canned whole or

chopped tomatoes. Use enough to cover the zucchini. Chop 1

head of celery and several large onions. Add this to the

pot, bring to a boil and simmer slowly until tender (season

with salt and pepper). At this point I would put it in jars

and water bath it for 10 minutes. If you are going to freeze

it, I would suggest cooling it down before freezing.

It's ready to eat as is or you can add it to soups. You can

also make a comfort food by adding bread crumbs or croutons

and cheeses and bake until warm through. Also add ground

beef or sausage for a nice baked dinner in a hurry with a

salad and viola!-dinner.

Zucchini Chocolate Cake

Grease and flour 9x13 pan

1/2 cup margarine

1 3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup oil

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup sour milk (make this my adding vinegar or lemon juice)

4 tbsp cocoa

1 tsp soda

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp salt

2 cups shredded zucchini (I've used both peeled and unpeeled)

2 1/2 cups flour

Mix all. Bake 325 for 45 minutes.

Frosting. While hot sprinkle 1/4 cup chocolate chips and 1/4

cup nuts on top.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (8)

• aypcarson
    17 years ago

WOW! Your plants look great. Mine are very small and I probably won't be pickin' till mid July. I never seem to have the bumper crop problem due to the squash vine borers. We like to grill our squash and zucchini after slicing them and then coating them with olive oil and sprinkling on some sea salt and herbs. Your chocolate cake sounds delicious!

• downeastwaves
    17 years ago

YEAH! HAW!! Those are some nice looking plants!!!!! I sure would like mine to look that nice!!!!! The neighbor's cats have been into the bed twice already, I guess we will have to make a fence or something if we are to have any plants.

Leasa

• Annie
    17 years ago

Hey, Gurley,

Thanks for the recipes! I have one or two recipes for Zuch bread, but will try yours. Sounds yummy! I've tasted a chocolate version, but did not have a recipe to bake it. Double thanks! Sounds yum!

I use substitute melted butter for the hydrogenated oil in every recipe, cake mix or brownie mix that calls for vegetable oils, though.

I have a recipe for soft and chewy Zuch cookies that I can post if anyone wants it.

I also have one for an easy & fast Microwave 'Zuch & garlic-cheese dish'. This tastes great with any Italian meal. Wonderful alone for lunch (dinner) with toasted garlic bread and iced tea or with a nice glass of red wine.

I like to thinly slice tomatoes and zuchinni and even some crookneck squash and put on a Tony's brand frozen pizza. Drizzle w/a bit of virgin olive oil, then sprinkle with garlic powder, basil, and Parmesan cheese, and bake. Turns a not-so-healthy junk food into something delicious and really good for you.

~ SweetAnnie4u

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

My zuccini were probably planted late. They are beginning to flower now, so I should get a nice crop, if the vine boarers stay away. How does one conquer them in the south?

I love to grill my zuccini. Being a vegetarian, I will attempt to grill just about any vegetable to see what happens. Zuccini is very nice grilled and added to fresh tomatoes, a little cubed feta, some nice fresh shelled beans and a few olives. This can be used as a salad, or you can put it on pasta, or mix it into rissotto. We are having it with grilled garlic risotto tomorrow night (OK, I bought this zuccini!!). I love to make a wheat free zuccini bread recipe I made up, and I think I'd like to try it in brownies or your cake (I can use wheat free baking mix). Chocolate and zuccini. How can one go wrong??

• terrebonne
    17 years ago

Here's a website that you might find helpful.

http://www.grannyskitchen.com/zucchini/

• terrebonne
    17 years ago

OOps let me try that again for a clickable link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zuke recipes

• faerygardener z7 CA
    17 years ago

My favorite is mock crab cakes - a friend oiginally sent me the recipe (which I can't find, but this online one looks the same, Old Bay Seasoning, bread crumbs, egg, grated zuke,..). I look forward to bumper crops of zuke for this very reason:
    http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/AZ/ConniesZucchiniCrabCakes.asp

• ninjabut
    17 years ago

I grow 1 and only 1 zuk each year!
    I think my favorite is to slice and chop a bunch of onion, saute in butter, add sliced zuk (and yellow squash if available), saute for a bit, add 1/2 to 1 small can tomato sauce, simmer til al dente. OOPS add garlic or G powder to taste.
    \

I also dry zuk in a dehydrator and freeze in a food saver bag to use in soups and casseroles during the winter.
    The only way I have had any luck with freezing zuks is to grate it and food save it. It can be used for breads, etc that way.
    Hmmm, when DD was a little bit, DH, a wood carver would carve an over grown zuk with a face etc and the little DD would carry it around like a baby!
    We have also made zuk cars and raced them!
    More fun with zuks!
    AAKKKK, almost forgot! I let one zuk go crazy, it got all twisted and huge, I put it on the deck and it hardened like a guord. The bottom and innerds got eaten away and I used the shell as a planter for 2 years before it rotted!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH