Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cutterpup

Potager and natives?

cutterpup
16 years ago

Hi all. I found this forum yesterday and not knowing what a potager was I started to explore. Okay, now to my situation and question.

I have a large expanse of front lawn which I hate. I wish they had built the house on the very front corner and left me with a hugh side and back yard instead. I have a slightly raised (mounded) garden that used to be herbs but other than a large rosemary it has now been planted with native flowers. It also has a small on the ground birdbath, pole with bird feeder and a half whiskey barrel with herbs and flowers in it.

Between that area and my street I have started a 10 ft by 30 ft garden featuring native plants. Our goal is to slowly combine the two gardens and expand them. We are working with backyard (and front yard)habitat programs.

We will not be doing ay fencing but will eventually have a permenant edging put in.

Has anyone tried combining these types of plantings with their vegetables and fruit? I already have two lowbush blueberries out there and would love to try some grapes. It is the sunniest part of our property except for the pool and it's decking. I have a raised vegetable bed out back (six feet by twenty) that I practice square foot gardening in.

thanks in advance, and I love the pictures of everyone's potagers.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County