Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
friend_gw

I didnt even know ( a few pics here-warning)

friend
17 years ago

I didn't even know I HAD a potager. I didn't even know what a potager WAS! Haziemoon told me she liked my potager garden ( we met at another forum and she browsed my webshots album!) I said- you like my WHAT?!!

Guess what? Apparently I have a potager! haha

I call it my veggie garden.. It is fenced becasue if not it would be critter ,deer and bear food and likely trampled by my dog.

Here are some pics of it and some progression shots so you can see the shape of the beds.. One day I hope to have a cottage garden fence around it. I've loved looking at all yours.. great ideas.. I may have to hang around a while.

Comments (10)

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Friend, it's just wonderful! I love that your beds are all unique shapes. That is what I am eventually planning to do when I can get a perminent and larger space for the potager!!

GGG

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Hi Friend!
    So glad to see you here!
    Your potager is so neat. I sure wish I'd seen it before I put mine in!

What is growing on your arch?

Haziemoon

• friend
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ohh- dont be too impressed- this is last year's progress shots.. it was green beans though. they broke the arch eventually! LOL

I'll have to take pics of this year- but need advice fomr you all on better ways to keep the paths weed free...
    ( well- maybe allowing some of that crazy cilantro that puts itself everywhere. haha

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

We have awful weeds here. We have irrigation water for the
    yard, so we have weed seeds coming out the hose!

I had to till it all up and lay down that black fabric, and put it under the beds a little too, then covered it in pea gravel about 3 inches thick. It seems to
    work really well...no weeding the paths yet!

But I like to garden and water barefoot, and it gets HOT!
    So I kinda wished I'd used something other than pea gravel.
    Other than the pain! I love how it looks and is working out. It was pretty cheap too....we did the whole thing for about $20...but it took several trips with our little trailor!

Haziemoon

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

Lovely garden! It looks like you had a very productive patch, everything looks so healthy. I wish my garden was that tidy. Nice job.

• downeastwaves
    17 years ago

Oh so peaceful! It is just beautiful.

Leasa

• soggy6_2006
    17 years ago

Love it!

Janna

• friend
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gootagarden; thanks.. tidy? i dont think so.. you must not be seeing alllllll the weeds coming up through the paths..

hazie; thanks so much.. gravel is that cheap huh? I had no idea.. I probably shoudl use gravel then.. but then again I thought i maybe want to one day take out all the beds and just do rows in here. and sometimes i plant in the paths near the fencng ( I have scallions here and there- and ofcourse cilantro takign overt allt he paths. it needs a good fresh top coat of mulch reall is what the problem is I guess... but my budget is tight this year and I'm lazy too. haha
    Yours looks soooo tidy Hazie..!

GGG, Janna and Leasa, thanks so much.. Peaceful is it.. defaintely.. when i am not screaming from a bee ot yellin at the dog to get out of my flowers. haha

anyway- we shall see this year what happens.. I always rotate things.. so it's a new arrangement of plantings in which bed each year. I REAAALLY liked the green breen arch last year and I'm not sue what to do this year .

• JenWestie
    17 years ago

Friend:

I am putting old carpet down between my beds and covering them with wood chips. I received the suggestion for this from another gardner here on this forum when I asked about the landscape fabric.

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

I read about the old carpet too..after mine was done.
    That sounds like a really good Idea.

You can get all you want in the dumpster behind carpet stores.

Haziemoon

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!