Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Weeds everywhere!

lavender_lass
13 years ago

After a month of unusually cool and rainy weather (we're almost 300 miles east of Seattle and usually have hot, dry summers) the weeds are everywhere! I've been weeding for days and finally starting to get the gardens back under control...but it's a fight. Has anyone else had problems with weeds this year?

The potager/kitchen garden still needs more weeding, but at least I found the beans yesterday :)

The weeds are still pretty short, but they're growing...like weeds (LOL) so I know if I don't get to them soon, they'll be huge. Any advice/suggestions on keeping them under control? I'm sure all the horse manure hasn't helped, but at least they're lush weeds and the veggies are looking pretty good too!

Comments (8)

• joellenh
    13 years ago

I mulch with newspaper (two layers) topped with grass clippings around my plants. Weeds are ALMOST non-existant this year. It's a MIRACLE!

• chickadeemelrose
    13 years ago

I am just starting to see a lot more weeds here in MA because of the heat and rain combination we've been having. Up until now it hasn't been bad, but the weeds are catching up.

Thanks to someone on this forum I now plant alyssum around the bottom of each tomato plant. It looks nice and it does keep the weeds down. As of right now though, I will be adding some mulch to the gardens because the little weeds are appearing everywhere.

In some areas I use the black weedblock fabric under gravel, etc.

My long-handled cultivator is invaluable.

Good luck, and don't worry too much about the weeds. If you start finding yourself disgusted go and have a glass of iced tea and read a magazine. The weeds will still be there (unfortunately!) :)

• ali-b
    13 years ago

I, too, use good 'ol newspaper covered with wood mulch or grass clippings. The only things that still poke through are those darned milk weeds, but they're easy to spot.

• lisa33
    13 years ago

I plant so intensively that weeds don't stand a chance. I am always somewhat surprised when I see one that both managed to get enough sun and escape my notice! Of course, my space is a whole lot smaller than yours. There are a few small shadier areas with some weed issues, but that just tells me I need to plant more there. I hate weeds!

Lisa

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've tried the mulch and it doesn't seem to work too well for me...probably because I keep moving my plants around :)

Last year, the weeds were not much of a problem in the vegetable garden, since it was small and I planted very close together - like Lisa. This year, I have more garden space and my plants (especially the roses) are so small, I have to fill in with annuals, so there's more bare space. I guess I'll just keep weeding and hope they slow down after a while...or the other flowers start to fill in! LOL

• susan2010
    13 years ago

There is always a point some time in the summer when the fact that the jungle can reclaim all signs of civilization in just a few years seems to make a lot of sense. However, wherever I have mulched (the beds) there are few weeds. Every place else, well, got a machete anyone?

• riverfarm
    13 years ago

I am new on GW and have a potager. Every summer there does come a time when the weeds seem to win the fight, especially if I haven't mulched that area. We use salt hay and that works well, but we don't always spread it everywhere we should. I love gardens that combine flowers and veggies, but at this point some of last year's flowers are volunteering in places where I don't want them, and are also taking over veggies in a few spots.

I would add a photo but I'm not sure how to do that here...

• gwenb
    13 years ago

Weeds are a huge problem for me too. I just have too darn many places and can't get them weeded fast enough. The newspaper/mulch thing does help but my one dog will dig that up as soon as I put it down. Then he brings the newspapers into the house. Mess outside and in!

I can do that in the potager, tho, because it's fenced and he isn't allowed in! I haven't done it so far, but I think I will next year. The weeds are super out of control.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012