Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmschneider

My 'Potager'

lmschneider
15 years ago

First of all thanks to this forum for some inspiration when I was planning my little 'potager'.

I don't usually post on this site, mainly a reader for my own personal learning - - but I'd like to share some photos I took last night, just cuz. My garden consists of (4) 4x4 plots and (1) 2-3' wide plot that runs along the north side of the garden with cypress mulch walkways. I use a somewhat square foot approach - and also a 'just throw it where it fits now b/c I didn't know I was going to have you' approach. And I suppose worthy to mention this is my first in ground garden. Lots of plans for next year to pretty it up - including maybe stone edging and incorporating it into future plans for perennial beds in the back.

{{gwi:1154065}}

Comments (5)

• jodifromoregon
    15 years ago

You're off to a lovely start, and thanks so much for posting the pictures! I love looking at other folks' garden photos. :-)

Would you mind listing what-all you have planted in them so far?

Happy gardening!
    Jodi

Here is a link that might be useful: My new blog! Simplifying in Suburbia

• lmschneider
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Jodi.

Planted in the garden:
    (1) Burpee Big Boy tomato
    (1) Pink Oxheart tomato
    (1) Grapette tomato
    (1) Homestead tomato
    (4) Sweet Banana peppers (all my peppers are lagging compared to everything)
    (2) Garden Salsa peppers
    Squares of yellow & red onions
    (3) Minnesota Midget melon
    (2) Orient Express eggplant
    Contender green beans
    Salad Bowl lettuce
    Mesclun Mix lettuce
    Russian Red kale
    (2) Brussel sprouts
    (3) Little Gem brocolli - harvested already
    Marigolds, zinnias, glads, nasturtiums

• jodifromoregon
    15 years ago

Nice line-up! My pepper (I only planted one) is lagging pretty badly too at this point. We had a late cold spell, and the pepper (a sweet yellow bell) isn't looking too good even now. Not sure if it will make it or not, but peppers weren't at the top of my priority harvest list anyway.

How was that broccoli? Can't wait to have some ready for harvest myself. The only thing I've harvested so far are a few strawberries.

Be sure to post progress pictures later on! :-)

Jodi

Here is a link that might be useful: My new blog! Simplifying in Suburbia

• ninjabut
    15 years ago

Good start!
    Jodi (OP), you might want to put some grass clippings around your peppers and tomatoes to keep that soil nice and warm. I've done that with my tomatoes, peppers and eggplant this year and have noticed much better development. Just don't let the clippings touch the stems of the plants.
    You have a little greenhouse! I've been told to try sungold tomatoes (cherry type) and peppers in the GH to produce throughout the winter( ??????) My GH blew apart during a bad windstorm last year so I can't verify this!
    Just my $.02. Nancy

• jodifromoregon
    15 years ago

Thanks, Nancy! I'll give that a try. If you read my blog, you know I'm dealing with a nitrogen shortage anyway, so some grass clippings may be a good idea on all fronts.

Our winters are pretty brutal here, but I'm looking forward to seeing what I can get away with in the little pop-up greenhouse. With only 90 official "frost-free" days, we have our growing challenges here. I was thrilled to pick up that greenhouse and some other goodies toward trying to extend my growing season out as much as possible. Sorry about losing your greenhouse in a storm! Mine is just one of those "vinyl" types, but we've staked it down really well and I'll be leaving the vents open on both ends whenever our winds threaten (which is often), so hopefully I won't have to watch it fly away!

I don't think I'll be able to get much to grow during our winters even in the greenhouse, but I'll at least keep my potted dwarf blueberries in there, and maybe I can get seeds started a little earlier than normal come "spring" (or some reasonable facsimile thereof... lol).

Happy gardening!
    Jodi

Here is a link that might be useful: Simplifying in Suburbia (My Blog)

Sponsored