Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macgregor_gw

Non-Plant Adornments in the Potager

macgregor
12 years ago

What do people have in their potagers this year that are not plants?

I ask this out of curiosity and to get ideas! It always intrigues me to see or hear of something really different, an element that draws your eye to that part of the garden and complements the growing things really well.

For my own part, I have a number of metal, painted (small) fairies that wave from behind bean supports, hang on the garden fence, etc. I have a little copper windmill on a stake and some copper bells. There is a small plaque with an Irish blessing on it, and two crackled glass wasp trap-bottles that hang from the tomato tepee row.

I am really excited about a bunny sundial that should be arriving any day - a real splurge for me.

What treasures do you have in your garden?

Comments (10)

• ali-b
    12 years ago

Your adornments sound really neat. I'm afraid my garden is a bit boring. I have an arbor bench that will hopefully be covered by tiger melons by August and a series of 5 trellises with a bench under the last one. Just outside the fence in the front border, I have a bird bath and a small seating area.

• nancyjane_gardener
    12 years ago

Let's see, where to start? LOL
    Mine might be a bit too busy for some peoples' taste.
    I have gnomes and handmade stepping stones in the new herb garden, head and foot boards bordering a couple of the raised beds, a gazing ball or 2, metal flowers in a few of the beds, a few hanging bird cages, weather vane, wooden stakes (plant markers) in the shapes of cowboys, bunnies, squirrels, Patricia , the manequine who gets a couple of changes of clothes each year, many pots of flowers mixed in the herb garden and around the edges of the garden, and 2 hand carved chairs backed by ladders covered with birdhouses, and a naked umbrella planted with morning glories, just starting to climb the umbrella and ladders.
    There's probably more, but I'm not out there to look! LOL Nancy

• ali-b
    12 years ago

Nancy your garden sounds fantastic. That would be so cool to have a Patricia, the mannequin. Although I'm sure she'd scare the pants off me if I went out to the garden in the dark!

• nancyjane_gardener
    12 years ago

Ahhhh, ya get used to Patricia! The neighbors don't though! LOL Scares the bleep out of them when they come by!
    She was named by one of my autistic students who stayed with me for a couple of days while her mom was ill. She spent HOURS (yes we used sunscreen!)out in the garden decorating her! We still find the decorations here and there throughout the garden! =)

• ali-b
    12 years ago

That must have been so much fun dressing Patricia. You can probably find some awesome outfits for her at a thrift store. She could be a bride in June, a scarecrow in October, a leprechaun in March.....I think thats the difference between having a potager rather than just a veggie garden. It's a place to go and enjoy rather than having constant toil.

You've given me some great ideas on things to add to my potager.

• macgregor
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would give anything to see Patricia! Any chance of a photo? Your students are fortunate to have a teacher with such a great imagination!

I lucked out today and saw an Irish teapot on ebay; I bid on it, hope it works out. I had wanted to put something else Irish (that wasn't corny) in my potager, and this discussion helped my thinking! If I get it I will post a picture of it in my garden! (probably with an herb/flower growing out of it) :)

• nancyjane_gardener
    12 years ago

Posting pics is my new goal! I have NO CLUE how to do it!
    I did go out and take some pics the other day....but there they sit in my camera!
    Gotta get the 20-30 somethings over to help me and not say "yajust"!
    I'll try! Really! Nancy

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

I'm just lucky that the potager is never empty!!! I can use nice greens like Kales and Swiss Chards, johnny jump ups, violas...they fill every spot.

• macgregor
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wanted to share a blog I just saw for the first time, and it is a neat "idea place" for those who might like to have "nonplant" things in their garden but are not sure where to start : craftygardener.ca.

There is a variety of ideas with examples, and the blog writer encourages people to tell others about her site.

Just passing it along...

• arcticiris
    12 years ago

I painted a ladder provence blue.
    Made butterfly cutouts from aluminum and painted the wings and bodies.
    Painted a found birdhouse and found plant stands.
    Salvaged aluminum canopy poles, painted them and turned into bean supports and protective teepee supports for early spring cold snaps.
    Concrete stepping stones. Decorative tiles. Someday I want a pair of matching lions :-) I have no idea why, but I've always wanted them!

Sponsored