Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gurley157fs

My favorite combination

gurley157fs
17 years ago

Here is my favorite combintation (for the moment).

Rudbekia and cosmos inbetween the squash, zucchini and oregano.

I'd love it if everyone posted theirs!

Comments (7)

• almendra
    17 years ago

I love this combination too! Thank you for sharing, and as soon as I learn to post pictures, I will.

• angelcub
    17 years ago

Gorgeous, Gurley! : ) I'm going to move my rudbeckia to the potager soon. I hope my pink cosmos come up as pretty as yours.

Here's my fav this week. I love the deep orangey-yellow color of the squash blossoms with the purple petunias. That petunia was one of six left over from a container planting last fall. I didn't want to just compost it so I stuck it in this bed. I do this a lot when I'm not sure where to put something permanently. Well, this guy went through the winter cold and periodic snow, then started blooming it's head off a couple of months ago and hasn't stopped. Then there is the good ol' reliable hollyhock next to it. The thing is in it's fourth season and has a middle stem the size of a small tree!
    {{gwi:739906}}

Di

• nberg7
    17 years ago

Di- isn't that always the way? Some of the best plantings just happen by accident- it looks perfect with the yellow.

Gurley- what type of cosmos did you plant because mine always get ten feet high and wouldn't show off well the way yours look.

-Nan

• georich5
    17 years ago

Jeanine and Diana--
    Those pictures should be in a calendar. Wouldn't it be cool if we could get enough pictures to have one.

Unfortunately my potager plans went belly-up this year when our maze came down with a case of spider mites. We've spent almost every gardening moment trying to save the sick arbs and keep them from infecting the rest. 350!!!! I've also been questioning my sanity on trying to do a maze. But I'm committed and dang stubborn.

I've stuck my already acquired plants in the most unlikely places on hold til next year. Hopefully my posture will no longer be in the shape of an L and I'll be able to potage "full speed ahead".

Happy potaging, I live through you.
    georgeanne

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nan,
    Maybe someone in the cottage can tell you what type of cosmos it is - that's where I got it.

However.... I does get fairly tall and then just falls over. The it starts to bend upward again and start blooming. I just let it do what it wants and come up where it will. If it looks pretty there then it can stay - if not .... shovel prune.

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Gurley! what an awesome combo!!!
    oh that hollyhock is getting me so excited! I never realized they got so big!!! I have seeds coming!!!

My cosmos always fall over too. They are so pretty then they
    fall over! too many to stake. There are a few this year that bloomed early, and are real short. I love them!

Haziemoon

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

I love that combo too. Very "electric"!!

I'm still waiting on what I hope will be good combos. I chose vegetables with colored fruits and tiny hot peppers with colored peppers. The marigolds started blooming, but not much else is really going on. Things are slow as we had drought and weird boughts of heat and then cool weather...

GGG

Sponsored