Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's New Here in MA /Trying Some Heirlooms

Posted by macgregor 6MA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 15:24

Hi all,

Just an update on the goings-on in our potager in Melrose Massachusetts -

I have my potager planted but wanted to branch out somehow this year, try something different, without adding more beds at this point.

What I noticed when reading about seeds one day is that (and you all probably know this) there are a lot of heirloom plant and seed varieties out there, some of them going back in their development hundreds of years.

History interests me, especially American history, so I looked into some of these varieties for planting. I found a lettuce, called "tennis ball" that was planted at Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home - each head is literally about the size of a tennis ball; another lettuce from the south that was developed in the mid 19th century; a tiny round French carrot variety; and of course the (already) favorite of many, Brandywine tomato plants, whose flavor is considered by many to be the "gold standard" of tomatoes.

I found some flower boxes not being used and I am putting them all together to form an "heirloom" garden section. I am excited about it, it will really be an experiment!

Also, I am trying to follow through better with succession planting this year (ran out of steam last year), and have enjoyed researching and doing companion planting as well.

Just thought I'd share what's going on, I always love to read about people's ideas -

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's New Here in MA /Trying Some Heirlooms

The tennis ball sized lettuce sounds really neat as an edging plant. It sounds like each one is a single serving salad.

I'm also trying some edible containers. I grew a lot of extra tomatoes and peppers including a supposedly very colorful chinese 5-pepper and some mini-tomato varieties. . I found 4 new containers without holes in the bottom and turned them into self-watering or SIPs with a water reservoir in the bottom.

I finally got to planting them out this week. The poor tomatoes and peppers were pretty root bound and will hopefully start perking up soon. My goal is to not buy any plant packs for my containers this season.

o

MacGregor- That sounds like such a good idea! I hope you will take some pictures, as I'd like to see your garden, especially the little lettuces :)

Ali-b, Your chinese peppers sound so fun. Do you have to have warm evenings for these peppers? I know some don't do well with out cooler evenings, but this pepper might bea good one to try!

o

I know it does like the warm weather. Mine are still pretty small right now. Something I'll have to keep in mind next time. I'll need to start the plants earlier to have them to a decent size for a patio pot.

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 5, 11 at 14:37

Those tennis ball sized lettuces might be a great way to get kids into salad....each starts with their own tennis ball of lettuce!

o

I know, I love American history (and part of the reason I did these heirloom varieties I think), and I have been picturing Thomas Jefferson sitting down to dinner to have a tennis ball lettuce salad! It keeps me going!!! lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here