Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_bird_gw

plants to tumble over side of beds/containers..herbs, flowers,

t-bird
10 years ago

Hi all,

Trying for a decorative effect, particularly attractive herbs. Have 6 thymes and alyssums in mind. Maybe some more nasturtiums (only have buttercream, a low clumping type).

Any others I may be missing? What are your favorites?

Comments (7)

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

Try prostrate or 'creeping' rosemary, too.

Depends on how far you want the plants to hanf, I suppose, too.

I've been more focused on edible ground covers. I looked at prostrate rosemary, but it's bit tall for our purpose.

Other spreading groundcoivers we looked at: golden creeping oregano, corsican mint, lingon berries, sweet woodruff - which might work for you - wintergreen, nodding onion, bunchberry. You've already listed thyme. Try chocolate mint and mebbe some of the other mints, too. Have you looked at strawberries? Chocolate vines? Passion fruit? That sort of thing?.

• mandolls
    10 years ago

Dont restrict yourself to edibles. I use Petunias and Lobelia to drape over the edges of some of my beds. I try to get some color into every bed.

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

For non-edible I highly recommend Creeping Jenny! I use it a lot of my pots and as a ground cover. It will tumble up to a foot and is a nice bright green. Nancy

• t-bird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mandolls! Some petunias are what got me started! And - I wanted more :^)

Interesting idea nancyjane! I love creeping jenny, and have some out front - is it for shade? sun? a bit of both?

It isn't doing very well out front, but last year was heatwave/drought, and then the gas company dug up a bunch of ground to put new pipes in, so that took out a lot.

• t-bird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the petunias got me started thinking this direction.

I planted them almost 3 weeks ago - but no tumbling! If you look to see that one arm of it suspended to the left, I keep picking it up and trying to make it tumble down the side, but every time I go back out, it is back in the bed, trying to creep along there without tumbling.

Here is the front of that bed, also posted on the thread regarding my developing potager design.

there are three of these petunias, one either side and in the middle. they all refuse to tumble, but they are the tumbling kind, so maybe in a few weeks?

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

The creeping jenny prefers to be wet, and does better in part shade, but handles sun OK as long as it has enough water.
    I don't water mine much, and it gets those intense 4 hours of sun from 10-2, and seems to do OK. My neighbor gets only morning sun, waters regularly and has a beautiful batch!
    She/we have done several pots with the Jenny mixed with other plants with beautiful results! Nancy

• ali-b
    10 years ago

If I'm edging my veggie/annual beds, I use alyssum, marigolds, lobelia, curly dwarf parsley or petunias. I'm experimenting with moss roses in one bed this season -- the jury is still out. While not really trailing, I've also used dwarf boxwood basil or leafy lettuces.

In my perennial border, I have a row of alpine yellow strawberries that I started by wintersowing. I really like these -- dual purpose, edible and pretty. I finally had enough to make some jam with them today!

Sponsored