Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ali_b1

Keeping the Lettuce Patch Pretty?

ali-b
13 years ago

Well, my spring salad greens have bolted and the leaf lettuce I planned as "cut and come again" is growing in bitter. My plan to have heat resistant lettuce seedlings ready to pop into place did not happen. So, it's going to be bare patches until I can get some lettuce up and growing again.

I'd love to hear about how you keep your lettuce patch pretty.

Comments (11)

• natal
    13 years ago

My lettuce season runs fall to early spring. I keep the arugula in the garden as it goes to seed. Has really pretty white flowers.

• chickadeemelrose
    13 years ago

ali-b,

I know exactly what you mean. I planted rows of romaine and buttercrunch, and spinach, and I have huge bare spots all over, probably because of a heavy rain we had just after I planted. And of course weeds have invaded those bare spots! I had planned on enjoying a lot of nice lettuce, but anyway - I am going to replant and try planting alyssum interspersed through the bed, to help keep weeds down(it has done a great job with that with my tomatoes) and maybe prevent some erosion of seeds; and at least it will look pretty! I hope it works...:)

-Good luck - Donna

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

This is theory only, since I haven't planted a lettuce bed this year...but I was planning to try little zinnias or marigolds planted throughout the lettuce patch in a "quilt pattern" of sorts. Then, I could plant lettuce and spinach in small blocks between them. When the lettuce and spinach bolts, the flowers would still be there.

I love alyssum as a mulch and that would look pretty, too. I just thought the zinnias or marigolds might not spread as fast, leaving more room for the lettuce. Again, since I'm just finally getting a chance to plant this week, it's still a theory, but I hopes it looks as good in the garden, as it does in my head :)

• ali-b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I did decide to sow some dwarf zinnias where I had the spinach. There's still swiss chard in the middle so hopefully that will keep things from looking too barren while it fills in.

I still haven't cut down the spring green mix. They've all flowered out in a wild mix. Maybe I'll just leave it and pot up some of this heatwave blend lettuce in a couple six-packs. When it's ready I'll cut down the other.

Hubby loves a good salad so keep your fingers crossed that the only salad green I have left, the mizuna, holds out.

• silverkelt
    13 years ago

Plant trailing vines...

I just finished with my lettuce, and the cukes and zuchinna monsters will fill in the gaps.. or do melons if your hot enough..

Silverkelt

• chickadeemelrose
    13 years ago

I need help about when is NOT a good time to plant lettuces in the garden. Is it the hottest part of the summer(July, August?) Or can you really plant anytime?

My spring lettuces are about gone; they're great, but not much of them because of seed erosion. I want to plant another crop ASAP because we love it. Advice?

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

We have hot, dry summers, so usually lettuce and spinach have to be planted in the shade this time of year. My mom likes to plant them under bean teepees, tomatoes, or any other area where they can get plenty of shade. Full sun will probably cause them to bolt and taste bitter.

• chickadeemelrose
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone! :)

• gwenb
    13 years ago

Pansies and alyssum are super pretty with lettuce. Altho I think most any flower would be pretty mixed in.

• ali-b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gwenb -- well, wheel that right over to my garden please. That's very attractive. And, you could probably maneuver that to some shade if needed.

• gwenb
    13 years ago

We are very sun-challenged, so I'm more likely to be wheeling it to the sun! But it's old and decrepit (kind of like me), so I try not to move it too much.