Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gurley157fs

pics, recipes, garden secrets.......

gurley157fs
17 years ago

Seems only a few of us are posting stuff here but I know there are others out there who like to have fun with thier veggies and flowers.

After all, I think that is what the potager is all about; making your garden a place that produces and provides a little beauty at the same time.

Please share your garden secrets, recipes and pics. Stories are good too.

For example - I have just been named the 'Squash Fairy' in our little neighborhood. It seems that the 'Squash Fairy' shows up in the middle of the night and leaves buckets of squash on peoples doorsteps.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden 2006

Comments (7)

• downeastwaves
    17 years ago

Nice photos of your place. I love that you are the Squash Fairy!!!!!!

Leasa

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Great pictures.
    I can't believe your squash is so big already! WOW!.
    You have a beautiul garden.

Haziemoon

• BecR
    17 years ago

Gurley, your gardens look so lush! What variety of zucc/squash do you grow? Wondering if there is a variety that doesn't get large, for my small potager? Wish we had a Squash Fairy here.

It is such a pleasure having a potager cottage garden with aromatic edibles at ones fingertips, isn't it!. A feast for the senses as well as the stomach! Wish I had started potager gardening years ago...

As far as recipes go, well, I've been collecting them since I was a little girl. My late father started me on this hobby. He enjoyed fine foods; we clipped gourmet recipes from Life Magazine (if I remember the title of the publication correctly). But he would rather take the family out for a gourmet dinner than cook one, lol. He was a wonderful baker (and so was my German grandmother---Mom was a pretty good cook, but little baking for her). I was often underfoot in the kitchen and learned alot especially of the 'old ways'.

Potager type recipes in my collection include Zucchini Crescent Pie, Zucchini Gremolata, & Chocolate Zucchini Cake. There are also recipes for Lavender Lemonade, Rose Geranium Bread, Strawberry Bread, etc. The list goes on and on.

Hope you take a gander at my collection.

Here is the link (I've posted this link once before, so hope you don't mind me posting it again):

Here is a link that might be useful: Becky's recipes ('Recipezaar' link)

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am definitely going to try the barracuda breeze and the squash chowder!

• BecR
    17 years ago

Hope you like 'em...that Baracuda Breeze is a killer, better watch out!
    -Becky

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

Wow, your garden has progressed from some of the early photos I saw. Looks lovely! What a treat! Inspirational, as I am attempting a circular potager too.

• georich5
    17 years ago

Jeanine,
    I can't believe how your garden has grown. Our squash went in ...ummmm, yesterday. I live through yours!!

DD brought a summer recipe to a family get together. Watermelon and cantalope marinated in margaritas. OMG! Sooo delicious I couldn't keep away from them. And so darn potent. Too much would find me under one of your squash leaves "sleeping it off". DD left a ziploc bag of them here and said when the fruit was gone I should pour the "juice" in a glass and drink it.
    Warning: This recipe interferes with gardening in straight lines and shifting brain into gear.

Pics are great, georgeanne

Sponsored