Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Creative, very TALL poles that take up very little space?

girlgroupgirl
17 years ago

I planted bush limas earlier this spring and they are doing fantastic. Now I'd like to plant my King of the Garden pole limas for a later harvest. All of my trellising is currently being used. I'd have to plant these puppies along the edges of the raised beds, and I need a creative idea for a minimum of 9' non-perminent but fairly steady trellising. The stuff I used for the purple podded pole beans is not long enough either! 9" and still gowing, just beginning to flower.

GGG

Comments (7)

• manzomecorvus
    17 years ago

what kind of ground do you have? Most of the veggie growers I know buy a piece of rebar, pound it into the ground, then slip a pole over it (pvc, bamboo, copper-however much $$ you want to spend at the hardware store).

IF your ground is harder (mine is limestone and caliche): I soak the ground for a long time, then drive in a 4 foot t-bar, and wire what pole I need to it with baling wire. Of course, getting the pole back out at the end of the season is the real trick....

• georich5
    17 years ago

Good question Glynnis. I'm looking for the same thing.

Something to put close to my porch windows so I can enjoy the vine as well as the beans. Double duty!!!

georgeanne

• billme
    17 years ago

Find a DENSE stand of evergreens. The less vigourous trees will grow tall and thin before being killed off by the hardier competition. I have 20 to 30 foot poles in my garden that, after a few years, only wiegh ten pounds or so and are strong for three or more years after that, getting weakest at the base where they are in touch with the soil. The diameter at the base is little larger than a softball.

• ninjabut
    17 years ago

Billme, how do you harvest stuff from a 20-30 ft pole???? Do you climb a ladder?
    I used palm fronds (about 10 ft) this year, but I'm going to start a new bed and have GBs climb on some heavy wire that will shade some lettuces and things like basil that tend to bolt.
    NANCY

• mrsgalihad
    17 years ago

Electrical conduit comes in lengths of 10ft. It's super easy to connect into an arch and to attach to the sides of raised beds. They can be cut to any length with a hacksaw.
    {{gwi:1154355}}
    {{gwi:1154356}}
    Oh, and very cheap too. I think it was less than $2 per length.

• diggity_ma
    17 years ago

And as you can see in Mrsgalihad's picture, the beans will happily climb string just as well as (or even better than) they will climb a pole.

-Diggity

• mrsgalihad
    17 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention... those are actually tomatos on the trellis. It's 6ft high by 4ft wide and is holding up five plants that have been wound around strings as they grow. I have another 8ft section also supporting tomatos. Next year I'm planning a lot more. They have held up supurbly in several serious windstorms that we have had both this year and last.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus