Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riverfarm2

Attractive Pole Bean Fencing?

riverfarm
13 years ago

We normally use bamboo pole uprights with bamboo crosspieces and string woven up and down from top to bottom for our pole beans. Last year the whole setup started listing to one side, so we shored it up. This year the bamboo poles have been snapping off at ground level, and it's been a constant hassle to reinforce them. I know some people use metal stakes and cattle panels for their beans, and I'm sure that would work well, but I was hoping to find something more attractive since our garden is a potager-type with flowers and veggies mixed. Because we rotate our crops, it has to be movable. Any ideas?

Comments (20)

• ali-b
    13 years ago

I built some simple arbors that are moveable for my hops so they're pretty tall (about 9 feet at the peak). I added 1 more arbor that has cukes and pole beans on it. You can see them in the "Blending Potager into Surroundings" thread towards the end. They were not that hard to build. The side supports are anchored with 4x4s screwed in at the bottom that I just covered with mulch. So if I wanted, I could move them around.

You could modify your bean pole teepees by using 1/2" metal conduit instead of the bamboo. Those won't rot and the beans will cover up them up quickly or you could paint the conduit a bold color.

• riverfarm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ali-b, this is what I've got now; there are a lot of beans! My tomato bamboo tripods are behind the beans.

Is there any way to post images directly, by the way?

I'll check that thread; I think I saw it already.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:83804}}

• riverfarm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a photo of what I have now. I wonder why this works in this forum and not in others!

{{gwi:83804}}

• mandolls
    13 years ago

There is a huge thread over in the Beans and Legumes forum with many many pics of trellises.

• riverfarm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Mandolls. Do you mean the one that I mentioned to Ali-b? If so, I saw it. What I think I'm going to do next year is use my three bamboo poles per section and supplement them with two metal stakes between the bamboo. And someone told me about some jute netting that Gardeners' Supply sells, so I'm going to use that instead of the zigzag twine.

I'm also going to get some new bamboo poles, because the ones I have for my fencing now were out in the weather all winter and I'm sure that didn't do them any good. I don't think they would have snapped off at ground level if they were in decent condition.

• mandolls
    13 years ago

Try this

Lots of examples, most of them not really suitable for a potager, but they may help with structural issues.

Here is a link that might be useful: Show me your trellis

• riverfarm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mandolls, that's the one I meant. I also posted on that thread. Thanks, though!

• Donna
    13 years ago

This year, I ordered two of these large spiral obelisks for my potager. I had to kind of gulp to spend the money, but they are so sturdy that they will last for many many years. I was able to put them together myself without tools, and when my first crop of beans pooped out, I cut the vines off and picked them up, moved them to a new bed and replanted. So easy! If they were any taller, I could not reach them to pick. They are just beautiful all covered with the bean vines and they fit perfectly in my 3.5' wide beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spiral obelisks

• riverfarm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Donnabaskets! Those are really attractive, but I'm not sure if they'd hold all my beans.

I think what I've decided to do next year is to get some new bamboo poles, since these were left out all last winter, and make my three-pole sections but reinforce each with two metal stakes so they'll be stronger. Then I'll use Gardeners Supply's biodegradable jute fencing on them, instead of the zigzag twine, and hopefully that will provide more area to spread out the growth and support the plants better.

• chickadeemelrose
    13 years ago

riverfarm,

This year I needed to replace my bean trellises, which were made of wood lattice that had been truly worn down by years of New England weather.

I also wanted a setup that was functional and attractive. One day I was at Home Depot and saw these fairly sturdy wood trellis panels (about 2' x 6'), acted impulsively and brought some home, and put three of them up in a row, on end, with 1-1/2' between, and then two wood pieces screwed across the backs of all three, and the end of those two pieces attached to our picket fence. The bottoms of the panels are screwed to an old 4" x 4" we had, to anchor them. My husband attached two more wood lengths to the backs of two sections and we have them pushed at a 45 degree angle into the ground to support the panels. So, the whole setup is about 10' wide and 6' tall.

Before we even planted the beans we loved the way this looked. The trellises are white, and so is our picket fence. It looks very New Englandey I think. Our idea was kind of sketchy and we didn't know how it would come out. Now the panels are covered thickly with bean vines - the vines have found their way up the trellises no problem.

In trying to give some shape to our potager we bought 3 more of these trellises and did exactly the same thing at the other end, about 24' away, opposite the beans. I am attempting to grow a vine on it, but we at least have some daylilies growing up in the bed in front of it. This setup has given another side to our potager, and for now it works.

I am really happy that come fall the trellises will still add something to the landscape. Glad we did it!

Thought you might like another idea -

Donna

• HerbLady49
    13 years ago

These two pics were taken at the Kings Garden in Fort Ticonderoga in the Adrondacks. They have wonderful public gardens.

This is cattle fencing held up using rebar posts on four sides.

This is a good use for an old rickety ladder.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

There are some black metal arbor/arches that go on sale every fall, at one of the local stores. I'm thinking of getting three this year and using them for a "bean tunnel" probably somewhat similar to Ali-b's hops.

Has anyone grown beans this way? They're not very heavy beans, as I use the Emerite and purple pole bean together. I'm lucky if they get over six feet tall, before we get our first frost, but I think the nieces and nephews would love it :)

• riverfarm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chickadeemelrose, that sounds really nice, but I want mine to be movable because I rotate my crops. I think I'm going to stick with the bamboo poles but reinforce them with the metal stakes and use biodegradable netting instead of twine; might encourage them to climb more evenly - who knows?

• chickadeemelrose
    13 years ago

Good point, and something I guess I should be considering too, rotating the veggies. How often do you rotate your crops? This is the second year out of three that I've grown things pretty much where they are (no crops last year). Do you rotate every year?

Your plan with the bamboo poles sounds good - go for it!

Donna

• riverfarm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna, I try to follow about a four-year rotation, not planting anything in the same place until four years have passed. I group veggies so that my legumes are together, nightshades are together, cucurbits are together, brassicas and so forth. Things like spinach and beets and lettuce and chard and fennel and leeks just get tucked in wherever, and I also edge rows with garlic or nasturtiums or radishes if they are supposed to help deter pests.
    Leslie

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Herblady- Beautiful pictures! How tall was the cattle panels arch? Could you walk under it? I have a couple of panels that might work. The ladder is fun, too. Do they secure it to the ground, or do you think the squash would hold it in place?

The chairs are a great feature and I love all the flowers mixed in with the vegetables. Do you have any more pictures? :)

• chickadeemelrose
    13 years ago

riverfarm,

Thanks for sharing your strategy, it helps so much to learn from others with more experience.

Yes herblady, the photos are gorgeous. Something to aim for! :)

lavenderlass, I've put up a ladder in my potager for cucumbers to climb on and it has been quite steady in the garden, the vines and cukes keep it settled. I only wish there were more ladders out on trash day! I painted mine a pale yellow and love the look and its function.

Donna

• riverfarm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I really like the look of ladders; I have been trying to talk my DH into ditching an old wooden one with a partially missing step, but of course he thinks it's still perfectly good. It would make a great trellis for cukes or whatever, especially if I painted it.

I wasn't rotating for a while, and then I had several years running where my tomatoes just didn't do well, so I figured I'd better start back up again. On the other hand, a friend in France has a neighbor whose family has been growing tomatoes in the same spot for around 400 years, with annual amendments of manure and other kinds of supplements. He says his neighbor's tomatoes look good every year, regardless of the way his own are growing. So who knows...?

• ali-b
    13 years ago

Herblady - love those pics.

I've been thinking about crop rotation for my garden as well. I put a tomato trellis at all four corners of my beds, plus the peppers are in a great spot. I really don't have a long run for them except where they are now. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have spread the tomatoes out so much. Where can they go next year as well as the other nightshade plants? It's encouraging to know about that family in France. So maybe I can get away with 2 years in a row then...

For my hop trellises next year, I need a better way to train them (maybe netting). The jute string I'm using did not work that well once the hops got to the top. Instead of following down the other side they jumped over to the trellis next door and commingled. In fact, the first two trellises are pulled together at the top.

• t-bird
    13 years ago

'a friend in France has a neighbor whose family has been growing tomatoes in the same spot for around 400 years, with annual amendments of manure and other kinds of supplements. He says his neighbor's tomatoes look good every year, regardless of the way his own are growing. So who knows...?'

I heard tell somewhere - can't remember - that some very few plants, of which tomatoes are one, actually like being planted in the same spot...

Sponsored