Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_bird_gw

Thoughs on handling a too-wide bed....

t-bird
13 years ago

Hello Potager friends!

My very first raised bed I built was 5x10 - I didn't realize it was too wide.

I've tried a path down the middle - but the plants overflowed and I couldn't use it mid-summer on.

Wondering about perennial herbs - sage, oregano, harvesting from the edges and leaving the middle of the plants to flower

Or ornamentals....would bee balm be invasive. Though of pairing it with shata daisies and echinacea.

Any thoughts on these? Ideas I haven't considered?

Comments (9)

• ali-b
    13 years ago

That's a good thought to leave the middle to something that you won't need to reach often. I've found bee balm to be invasive. I really like it so I have been pulling the stems I don't want. I also like the way sage and oregano look in flower.

How about using those short metal edging fences to hold plants off your path?

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    13 years ago

I will have 4 beds that are too deep to use from the edges some ideas I am toying with:

1. Some steppings stone paths laid in the bed, bordered by something low growing such as german chamomile or thyme.
    2. A strip of roman chamomile or thyme that can be walked on.
    3. Planting things in those unreachable areas that are not continual harvest such as onions, garlic, perhaps winter squash that are not harvested as often, carrots, etc.
    4. Placing some boards to walk on in the bed.

I had thought of planting something perennial in the spaces but I really hate to lose the food space.

• susan2010
    13 years ago

What about something easy and decorative, like zinnias or cosmos?

• t-bird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My bed is raised 12 inches, I had buried huge concrete stones, 2 deep, for the path, but I'd like to use those elsewhere :), and - the path wasn't working....although - now I've dug the stones up - maybe I could have planted a bit better to make it more usable......

The front 2.5 feet down the middle is usable - but not the back due to being up against the fence.....

So I've got 7.5 by 1 foot, and once I plant something there - I'd like not to step into this bed again....

Here's where my thoughts are right now....

Put the sage directly in the center of the bed for a focal point. It should bush up towards the front a couple of feet and maybe I'll plant something small and perennial - like a dianthus for some continuous color. Then use the 2 feet from the edge where I can reach in for the veggies.

This will leave behind the sage about 3 feet down towards the fence. Not too sure about this. Maybe the oregano up against the fence, with an echinacia between the oregano and the sage? Maybe that will get too crowded? Would they give too much shade to the veggies seedling during the early parts of the year?

• alicate
    13 years ago

I'd put stepping stones down the length of it and plant lettuce, chives, green peppers and other such plants on the sides of it. Then you can reach things from all sides and through the middle.

I think the zucchini idea is good as well. I'd plant two of them along the 5 foot side.

Use the area for pumpkins and watermelon.

Just some ideas.

• gwenb
    13 years ago

I made the same mistake. I'm going to put stepping stones in mine and also in the very center I'm putting decorative elements. In some cases, there will be plants involved that I'll need to get to, so I'll use the stepping stones. I like the look of the larger beds but very very inconvenient when trying to reach in!

Maybe if I practice yoga and get more limber...

• Donna
    13 years ago

Had you thought of making your paths across the width of the bed instead of the length? If you stand outside the bed on either end, you can reach in two feet. If you make 2 paths beginning two feet in from either end and one foot wide, you will then have a four foot wide square in the center of the bed that you can work from either of the two paths. If "X" is planting space and "O" is path space, each one foot, this is now it would look:

XXoXXXXoXX
    XXoXXXX0XX
    XXoXXXXOXX
    XXoXXXXoXX

This way you would only need 8 square feet for paths instead of l0 square feet if you run the path the length of the bed.

• defrost49
    13 years ago

I'm not sure I can visualize the situation but here are some thoughts.
    I agree bee balm is too invasive.
    I have a dedicated bed for winter squash this year. I find it very odd that the runners are heading in all directions except west.
    I decided a bed was too wide and my rows were in the wrong direction. This year they are planted along the north/south axis. I dug a trench/path down the middle of the bed. Here in NH my sugar snap peas got 7' tall and although I needed to pick from both sides, most of the pods are at on the top 4 feet. Could you put something tall like that nearest your fence? I am using wire mesh for concrete reinforcing as a fence. it is 5' tall x 10'.

The one foot spacing seems ideal for garlic. Plant in the fall. I just harvested Aug 1. You could walk down that strip to harvest. It is a heavy feeder and my bulbs nearest a summer squash plant were smaller.

A narrow strip of dill would be pretty.

Sage can get pretty big in one season. Tarragon left unharvested is falling over. I have a broad leaved chive that is just beginning to blossom with big heads. Leaves seem to be too tough to eat but the plant is neat and doesn't seem to self sow/spread as readily as other chives. Southernwood is perennial and can be kept trimmed into a fluffy bush. Not edible but I like the smell and shape.

Perhaps pepper plants that you'd like to leave unpicked to get red. Wait to harvest until the end of the garden season.

• t-bird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like the path down the short wasys idea as an alternative....will think on that some more.....I think I would go with just one wider one down the middle, then only about 2 feet or so in the center by the fence is "lost" - maybe put the oregano there.....

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County