Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_bird_gw

Planting asparagus attractively

t-bird
13 years ago

Hi All,

I'm thinking of not having the asparagus in with the portager, as I can't seem to think of a way to make it attractive.

My new idea is to put it around a patio (currently just a pip dream) in which I would raise the soil level about 3-4 feet to have french doors open up to the patio.

The doors would face east, and the patio would be about 10x10-12x12. I was thinking about have a 2 foot border around the patio for planting, and at some point - being able to put up a partial structure of greenhouse plastic to keep a fig and maybe a lime tree overwintered near the house. So if I have fig on one side, lime on the other, say 4 feet on the perimeter. Then, have the rest of the 2 foot area planted with asparagus.

So how would asparagus look surrounding the patio once harvest was done and the ferns come up?

I was thinking of doing the 4 feet close to the house for the lime/fig, then 4-5 feet for asparagus, then something flowering and decorative at the corners, and something else in the middle portion of the far.

Thinking possible of building an arbor over the entire patio, and having grape vine come up from the corners...but not sure on that.

so if f=fig, l=lime, a=asparagus, and g= grape/ornamental, soemthing like:

f...........................................l

a...........................................a

gaaaaaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaaaaag

Any thoughts? Want this to look really nice, be restful, peaceful.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus