Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcahalan_gw

new to forum - and tomato idea

tcahalan
13 years ago

Hello all! I'm so glad to have found this forum. I have been mostly a lurker on the Tennessee Gardening forum for years and probably don't technically have a "potager", but you all seem like such a friendly bunch I knew you wouldn't mind having me! We live in a 1918 bungalow in a small historic town on a 100'x140' lot. I garden in the cottage-garden style, with a small side yard that is what I consider to be my potager. Although technically only one side of it is that - edged with low stone "walls" for a strawberry patch, lettuce/greens, tomatoes, herbs, etc. Also, I saw once on a tv gardening show a woman who grew her cherry tomatoes on an arbor to keep them in bounds. I tried it this year with an inexpensive metal arbor and it is working wonderfully and I love the look - it blends right into the garden. I may try peas on it next spring until it warms up enough for the tomatoes. I'm pasting a link of a picture into this e-mail, but am not sure it will work. Just thought I'd pass this idea along because it worked great one for me. Tina

http://www1.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=505722016/PictureID=126442181016/a=15761512_15761512/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomatoes on arbor

Comments (10)

• gwenb
    13 years ago

I love that! Where did you find the arbor?

Did you have to tie up the cherry tomatoes as the plant grew?

• tcahalan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I got the arbor from a local place that carries lots of metal work, "junk-tique", and other garden ornament stuff. And yes, I have had to tie the cherry tomatoes onto the arbor, but they are just about at the point where they are about to start to lean over the arch - so hopefully I will avoid the dreaded summer flop!

• lisa33
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum! That is a great idea. My cherry sweet 100 plant is already 8' tall. Also, I have been wondering how I will accomplish rotating my crops when I only have four small beds. An arbor would give me an alternate location for tomatoes. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa

• ali-b
    13 years ago

I think that was Rosalind Creasy who had hers growing up a green arbor. Yours look fantastic! I have some cukes and italian ice cherry tomatoes on my trellis. Yours is how I was hoping mine would look except I've been at war with cucumber beetles. How can such cute little bugs cause so much damage?

• HerbLady49
    13 years ago

There are so many great ideas on this forum. I think your arbor is an attractive and useful accent

• tcahalan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, you are right! It was Rosalind Creasy! And, Ali-B, I have been very lucky with my veggies. I live in a neighborhood where (sadly) very people garden, and I think it definitely limits the pest population. Also, I have such a small garden that I only have room to grow a very small number of each type of plant and the diversity keeps the pests at bay, too. But i am also convinced that my bird feeder and fountain (bird bath) which are just a few feet away from the tomatoes dramatically keeps the bugs down -- I see the robins and little finches hopping around my veggies every evening doing my work! I try to garden organically and my helpers make it easier! Tina

• ali-b
    13 years ago

I hear you on the organic part. Last year, I was able to keep things under control by handpicking the bad bugs. But, last week the few little beetles turned into a 100 or more. I did have to break out one of the big guns of the organic world - pyrethrin/rotenone combo. I was concerned because that combo can wipe out the good bugs too. But, so far, it seems to be helping.
    Thanks for sharing your arch idea and feel free to pass any other tips or pics of your garden!

• tcahalan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just an update on my tomato arch -- wanted to post this picture, you can see how successful it has been! I took this several weeks ago, now the tomatoes have met in the middle and are going UP and I'm not sure where they will go next. We don't typically get our first frost until the end of October, and if they keep growing like this, I am going to have to figure out plan B. Tina

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ali-b
    13 years ago

Oh that's great! It looks so cozy.

• chickadeemelrose
    13 years ago

tcahalan,

What an inspired idea! I love it! Not only is the arch beautiful, your tomatoes are off the ground and obviously thriving.

Thank you for sharing this idea. It has made me think about how my tomatoes can do better next year.

Donna

Sponsored