Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggity_ma

Fall crop...

diggity_ma
17 years ago

Time for Round 2 here in the Northeast. What else have you folks planned for your late summer/fall crops?

Started this week:

Rutabagas

Spinach (seeds germinating on damp paper towel in refrigerator)

Heirloom lettuces

Cucumbers

Zucchini

Yellow crookneck summer squash

Bulls Blood beets

Riko baby Pak Choi

Scallions (from the last remaining sets)

Bright Lights Swiss Chard

Shiso

Bush Beans, Purple Queen

Chinese Broccoli

Kale (Winterbor and Winter Red varieties)

Will soon plant:

Snow Peas

Turnips

Carrots

Hmmmmm..... what am I forgetting?

-Diggity

Comments (8)

• kristinlokin
    17 years ago

Diggity - have you harvested zucchini yet? I'm in Mass. too and mine aren't ready yet - I also have some powdery mildew going on that might be slowing things down. Are you direct sowing the second round of lettuce and spinach? I just started thinking about what to do next - great timing - thanks for the post!

• aypcarson
    17 years ago

Diggity,
    I'm glad you posted too. Here's what I am going to start this week (I'm a little behind):

Beans -more bush (Italian flat)and pole (Ãmérite Filet Pole Beans)
    Lettuces (leaf, buttercrunch and romaine)
    Arugula
    Summer squash
    Zucchini
    Cucumbers

Kristin,
    I'm not having a lot of luck with my zucchini this year too. They are just forming and I am also getting some mildew. We have had so much rain so I think that could be the problem. On the other hand, I am still picking a lot of letttuce. Beans got mowed down by a bunny so I have to start over. I do not direct sow my lettuce. I start indoors and then transplant.

SSG

• diggity_ma
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well I guess I'm not the only one with zucchini problems this year. Mine started forming in early July, but the first few on each plant rotted before they ever ripened. Now that we've had some dry days and warmth, they are finally coming on strong. Peppers and eggplant are finally showing some growth too. At least this year has been a good pest year (fingers crossed) no sign of the squash bugs or those dreaded cucumber beetles. Only problem is japanese beetles, but they seem to affect the ornamental garden more than the veggies.

Kristin, I direct sow the lettuce, but not the spinach. Spinach doesn't germinate well in hot weather. Put seeds in a damp paper towel inside a loosely covered tupperware and check every few days. When they start to sprout, they can be planted outside (keep 'em well watered until they are up).

Thanks for the reminder about arugula, SSG! I overlooked that one!

-Diggity

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

I just started sowing fall seeds, at least I hope they're fall plants, ochre and daikon.

Anyone know a good website with info on what to sow when? I found flowers but nada on veggies.

Edna

• boondoggle
    17 years ago

Edna, I saw this post on the California forum:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg0717213214683.html

Hope this works for you. (I'm new at posting and may not have my technology down pat.) Anyway, they had two great links.

• mountainsong
    17 years ago

Diggity,
    Your list expands on what I was planning on. Also, I planted most of my best heirlooms in the spring; some of them failed, so I'm planting any variety I've got now! Hopefully after our seed exchange, I'll have more heirlooms for next year (and more cheaply!) Although I'm now out of the wheelchair most of the time, I'm still working around a recovering broken (foot) bone and ligament damage. Still, working for about an hour yesterday, I pulled out the rest of the pea vines, and got in some broccoli (seeds) and beets. Someone on the upstate NY forum put a link for a chart; I'm hopefully attaching it. Anyhow, it says I should be planting broccoli plants now, not seeds. Haven't started any, but will see if anyone around has some for sale. This weekend, I'm aiming to get one round of leaf lettuce in, and some kale. By next week, I should have Bright Lights chard... and I'll look at your list, to see what else I can get in. This is an evolutionary step for me: I always planted once, and that was it. This should really increase the garden yield, this year!

Mountainsong in The Heart of NY

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Planting Info.

• off2acre
    17 years ago

Chard and rocket are so reliable for winter garden here (in southwest France--real potager country). both produce well into february. But we just moved and are fretting about whether we can get the bad dirt in shape enough for a crop this winter (otherwise will tuck back into previous garden and trade wine for veggies). list will broaden next year, I just want that green and salad stuff when root veggies fill the markets.
    Any thoughts on how late I can wait to plant? First frost is usually mid oct to early nov.
    thanks.

• natal
    17 years ago

off2acre, sounds like we live in a similar zone. I plan on seeding some chard and arugula this weekend. I'll keep reseeding arugula every few weeks through December or January. By March most lettuce starts to go to seed around here.

I'm trying a new romaine this fall. It's called Red Cos. Anyone tried it? Also seeding Fernleaf dill.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus