Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdunn12

New Garden Area.Need Layout Help.(pics)

rdunn12
15 years ago

I posted in the vegetable garden forum and someone there mentioned it sounded like I had a good place to do a potager garden.Anyway I have a 19 x 42 area,fenced,lined with stepping stones and filled with gravel.Any great ideas on the best possible layout for this area.I did a small bed in the area this year as an experiment,seems to be working fine.Would like to have the area ready in time to at least have a small fall crop.

{{gwi:80084}}

{{gwi:80085}}

Comments (6)

• jodifromoregon
    15 years ago

Nice garden area! I'm working on a possible layout for you and will post it hopefully later today. Questions: How big is the existing bed (squash, is it?). Looks like about 1 x 2? Is that about right? And, the gate in the foreground; which direction? Is the gate on the south end, or...?

• jodifromoregon
    15 years ago

Okay, see what you think:

You have a lot of great space for raised beds in there! Now, pardon the rough drawing, but you get the ideas, at least. I guestimated on the size of the little existing raised beds. Then I added some elements according to what I would do with the space: You can see some 4' x 8' raised beds (with the lower right bed being optional, as you might prefer to use that space for a small storage/potting shed, or...?). I also put in a sitting bench for relaxing on and enjoying just looking over your garden. And 4' x 4' beds, the middle beds on angle. The very center could either be an angled 4' x 4', or you could use the space for a pretty cluster of large-potted plants, or a birdbath, fountain, obelisk, or what-have-you. And, I saved space along the 2 ends of the space for a row of potted flowers. Alternately, you could put in 1' x full-length raised beds along those edges.

You have a lot of great space in there, and it could indeed be made into a beautiful, bountiful potager. Hope this at least gives you some ideas as a starting point. Post update photos later on!

Happy Gardening,
    Jodi

• rdunn12
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well the gate opens out(away from the gravel).The area gets full sun all day.The existing bed is 2 foot by about 3 feet(yes it is squash).I like your layout that looks awesome.I really like the way you have the beds turned in the middle.I am going to take your layout and use it as a guide.I am thinking of doing 10" raised beds is that deep enough?Thanks for your time and help.

• jodifromoregon
    15 years ago

You're welcome! :-) I saw your pictures and just had to see what I could come up with for that awesome space.

Having a few "diamond" beds is pretty classic potager style, I think (others here, correct me if I'm wrong). The look is so much more decorative than just all straight lines and rows of beds.

And yep, for most veggies, I think 10" should be fine. Another thing you might even consider is staggering the height; maybe making the outermost beds 8 to 10" high and the inner ones 16 to 20" high or whatever. Different vertical levels will also give it a warm, inviting, cottage/potager look. Besides, that way you could put the veg that don't need much depth in the shorter beds and those that like it a bit deeper in the taller ones.

Another thought on that lower right corner bed or other options: I have one of those "pop-up" greenhouses that is only 6' x 6', but I've discovered it's plenty big enough for my season-extending and storage needs. That corner of your area would be big enough for a small greenhouse instead of the additional 4x8 bed, potting shed, or whatever. Just another suggestion for that space to think about.

Be sure to post pictures! :-)

Happy Gardening,
    Jodi

Here is a link that might be useful: Simplifying in Suburbia (My Blog)

• rdunn12
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jodi I looked at your blog,thats pretty cool.Nice looking plants you have there.Thank you sooo much for your help.I like the greenhouse idea.You are just full of good ideas.Will post some pics of the progress and finished product.

• diggity_ma
    15 years ago

You should definitely take advantage of the chain link fence as a plant support system. In other words, I'd plant climbers of one type or another all along the perimeter to climb up the fence. Sweet peas, regular peas, cucumbers, morning glories, climbing beans. Or, for more permanence, go with grape vines or even espaliered or cordoned apple trees (how cool would that be!).

I like Jodi's design, but (and this is just my opinion here), there is a bit too much space devoted to paths and not enough to the beds themselves. I'd also have a path that meanders through the garden toward a destination, which could be a small round table or birdbath or water feature or something. And I do like the idea of a garden shed. I built one that looks exactly like an outhouse, even with the crescent moon cutout on the door. It's small, but it is large enough to hold all the major tools I need to work in the potager.

So I guess I'd do something like this:

You could even move the center rectangular bed up so that it touches the top fence rather than the bottom one - that would make the path REALLY circuitous. This might be a good thing because not only would it make the garden appear bigger because you'd be following a longer path, but also you'd always be walking past both sides of every bed every time you went to the table, and this would afford you lots of opportunities to notice small problems with your plants before they turn into big ones.

-Diggity

Sponsored