Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need your opinion on new bed :)

Posted by lavender_lass WA zone 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 11, 10 at 19:41

I have one area of the potager/kitchen garden that I need some help with...it's next to the arbor, with the other beds going around the perimeter. It could be round, but I think an oval might fit the space better. The bed could be 9'-10' wide and 12'-14' long.

There's a birdbath I'd like to put in the middle and I was thinking about moving my two Therese Bugnet roses to this bed (they're getting a little chewed on by the deer right now). I'd also like to add herbs to this bed, especially fragrant ones. It's close to the arbor and is also the first bed you see as you walk in either entrance. Any suggestions for herbs? Do you think the roses would look good there? I love roses and herbs together, so I'm hoping to come up with something that will work :)

Also, after seeing those herb borders in the other post, I think that would work great in front of the veggies along the perimeter beds!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need your opinion on new bed :)

Hello -

There is a great article at About.Com: Gardening that talks about companion plants for roses, and at the end of the article, herbs with roses. It's very informative and I'm sure you would find it helpful.

A rose/herb bed sounds wonderful. You would end up with a beautifully scented flower bed to greet you as you walk into your potager. Very nice idea.

Good luck!

o
RE: Need your opinion on new bed :)

I just want to caution you about putting a birdbath in the center of a bed. Be sure you can easily get in to empty and clean it. And maybe think about planting something that will enjoy the regular dumping of the birdbath water?

I LOVE having birds in my garden, and providing fresh, clean water is the most important thing, so I don't want the regular cleaning to become an inconvenient chore that I avoid doing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here